Possible gluten intolerant

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone can help me.

I'm 21 years old, and ever since the age of

12 I've been struggling with severe stomach pain, joint pain etc- many symptoms that point towards some form of gluten sensitivity. It has completely ruled my life, and also, in the last year I was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid. Back when I was 18 they tested my blood which returned back positive for the anti bodies. However my endoscopy was negative. A colonoscopy also had negative results. I haven't seen my gastro consultant since February and have felt a bit forgotten.

The pain however has become too much and I couldn't live like it any longer; so in the past week I've decided to totally give up gluten.

The first week was such a success. No joint pain which is amazing as it sometimes left me crippled, no running back and forth to the bathroom after eating, my skin and energy levels have felt great- the best in years.

I'm in the second week now, and I still feel great. However, after the past two nights, I've had not pain in my stomach as such, but twinges after I have eaten my evening meals- which have been gluten free. There has been no loose bowel movements really, but I've started to become worried again. My mum, and also my Nan (who is coeliac) assures me that I need to give my body time to settle down and adjust.. But I feel so worried that I might possibly be back to square one. I thought this was the answer as it's the only one that I really feel makes sense, for I have so many of the symptoms that point towards a gluten intolerance.

If anyone has any guidance, advice or tips of really appreciate it.

Thank you smile

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi. Have you been tested for anything else? Like lupus or diverticulitis? Ulcerative colitis?There are a few that can cause your symtoms. I'd make an appointment with gastro dr and get full blood work done and check for everything the dr can think of.

Mel 

• Posted

Been tested for that yes and all negative. The gluten free diet has eased symptoms I must admit. My consultant asked me to do a food diary which I'm doing. The only reprieve I've had so far is the gluten free diet. I just really hope in the long run it makes a difference

• Posted

Oh ok. Yeah I hope it gets better for you. It's so difficult having diagestive problems 😞. I think your Mum and Nan are right, just give it more time and see how it goes. That's good about the food diary. I did that for my IBS which is what they diagnosed me as but I'm technically borderline galactosaemia. It's now in the new born screening test but when I was a baby it wasn't and they only found it because of my relative that had it. Take Care 😊

• Posted

I really hope time proves helpful with this. Because I've had enough now if I'm honest sad and oh wow I didn't know that! You take care too smile

• Posted

Celiac disease is an autoimmune disease so there might be another autoimmune illness you may have but have not been tested for. For example, I was border line galactosaemia, another family member was full blown. I had chronic diahorrea from the minute I was born and had terrible stomach pain in my child hood and teenage years. So I have to be careful what I eat. No full cream milk, no cream, cheese, yoghurt, spicy foods etc. I'm not lactose intolerant or celiac though my blood test was positive, just very sensitive to these foods. 

• Posted

Okay so on your second week you have still been feeling great? But you get stomach twinges after dinner?

Or you get twinges in some other part of your body

• Posted

Everything is great, my skin looks the best I've ever seen it. I never would leave the house without make up but now I wouldn't mind! My joint pain has completely disappeared as has my tiredness! I don't feel twinges in my stomach often but I did yesterday followed by having to run to the loo. I feel fine now though which is great! It's not everyday that I get the twinges, just that day. Which is an improvement from before smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.