Possible HSV-2 or HSV-1?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi. I am a healthy 26 year-old male with some slight concerns about my groin/hip area. A good friend of mine and I had unprotected sex about 12 weeks ago (we were both a little intoxicated, sigh) and two days later protected sex with a girl I was dating.

About a month after that, a girl whom I used to date was "in my neck of the woods," and wanted to hang out. We had some drinks and such and one thing led to another, and she gave me unprotected oral (no vaginal sex). I freaked (naturally, again) because I suppose I do not trust her that much. I had severe anxiety over this. I did not experience any lesions, fever, or anything like that.

Here I am 7 weeks after seeing the girl I previously dated and badgering her about her sexual tests. She said she was tested four months ago, never has ever gotten a cold sore, all clean results, etc. I have a burning sensation in my left hip region that spreads to my groin, waist, and left leg that started 3 weeks ago. I also have noticed a teeny tiny red area (looks like there could be a hair there, tiny pin-sized bulb?) in my pubic region - not my penis or genitals. It does not hurt.

I got tested April 26th. Negative IGG HSV1/2 w/ Reflex for both. What now?

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

• Posted

Just as an added note, I've had no trouble urinating, no lesions on the shaft or head of my genitals.

I get horrible anxiety about this stuff, and I'm just looking for some answers. I got horrible panic attacks after I received oral from the girl 7 weeks ago. They crippled me. Any help would be awesome.

• Posted

Hello friend, I am kind of in the same boat as yours.

A week after I had sex with this girl, the area under glans of my penis started to burn accompanied by tingle/itch over my gential and mouth area then eye pain ... etc

My advice is don't panic and test after 3 months of suspected exposure (most accurate results are at the +3 month mark)

Now just take it easy ... panic won't help but make it worse.

I tested after three weeks and got negative results for both HSV1 &2 but the experts here told me tests at +3 months are almost always conclusive

• Posted

Thanks for the kind words. Those are some crazy pains. Might be linked to anxiety. I will test again next week (my doctor's advice) when I go in for a follow up.

After that, I guess I'll just have to test again at the three month mark or 12 weeks. Thankfully, I know pretty confidently most people develop antibodies around the 6 week mark, so I have heard.

• Posted

Testing next week would put it around the 9 week mark from receiving oral and 13 weeks from the unprotected sex. 11 weeks I feel confident about, and also the most risky situation. I feel terrible for beating her up about it since she is a good friend. She is now angry with me for asking her to go get tested just for her sake (and mine, of course).

I've always been a slight hypochondriac, unfortunately, at least since I had developed molluscum contagiosum about 6 years ago. I got rid of that quickly, thankfully (and it never comes back).

• Posted

Just prepare for both result scenarios, if negative, all is good

If positive, it's still good. HSV is just a skin condition not a life-threating disease (e.g. HIV)

It's not too bad and you can certainly live with it with a few life adjustments.

In the meantime, don't beat yourself about it, go do something fun! (Hint: watch Game of Thrones :p)

• Posted

I know I'll be devastated if it is positive, but all signs now point negative.

The anxiety really is what is bad while I wait. It's hard for me to sleep. I've been taking Xanax and such... Yeah. It ain't good.

I just hope one day they can have a very quick, accurate, and convenient test for every kind of std.

• Posted

I think you are being overly anxious and the symptoms you describe do not sound like a first outbreak, so I would relax and maybe avoid casual sex if it causes you too much stress!
    • Posted

Yes I know. Like I said before, my anxiety is really dangerous when these things happen. The mind is a very powerful tool which can be good and bad.

I thank y'all for your input. Venting certainly helps one feel better.

• Posted

Felis,

I've seen you on a lot of threads. I've been talking to this girl for a little while. Before I start this story, let me assure you this: We have not had any sexual intercourse of any kind, oral, vaginal, anal, etc.

I have fingered this girl, and I had a scabbed cut on my middle finger. She literally just told me today calmly that she has herpes via a test I told her to take (kindly, she did). She was shocked; never had symptoms. I asked her if she had symptoms when we were kissing, and I fondled her (SHE DID NOT FONDLE ME). I noticed this little... "red spot" the day after. Keep in mind, I could have missed this for a long time because it doesn't hurt.

What are my realistic chances of that exposure giving me anything? As I've told you, I don't handle this stuff well. I felt my body go numb when she told me. Let me know what your thoughts are.

• Posted

For that matter, anyone's response will give me some light. I feel so sorry for her. She has had one partner, and it was protected. Also, they didn't tell her WHAT kind she had. Pobrecita. Needless to say, I'm one scared SOB right now.
    • Posted

She needs to know the type, but I'm guessing it's Type 1 if she's young. What test did they do that was not type-specific?? If IgM, ignore her results entirely and never recommend that anyone gets it (unreliable, many false results). Without lesions, it's IgG or nothing. Why didn't you wait for her results before doing anything? Would save you from the unnecessary stress! In any case, your risk for herpes is low. You seem to regularly find yourself in sexual situations that cause you much stress afterwards, so I would suggest finding a way to work around that (no casual, results first then play, other option?).
    • Posted

Her IGG specific tests were around 0.1, which is extremely negative. I guess it's just a matter of trust. If I trust the person, and I know they get tested... etc, it doesn't bother me. However, if I don't know, or my gut doesn't like it... I go crazy.
    • Posted

Huh? So, why does she think she has herpes in that case?? Also, IgG should tell you type. Anyway, 0.1 is negative, so I don't know why she's shocked and thinks she has herpes, or why you're concerned and saying things like poor girl, only had one partner, etc. She's very clearly negative, is she not? Excuse me for not understanding the issue.
    • Posted

They did both tests, igm and igg. That's why she is confused and upset. That's all. Igm came positive. Igg came way negative.
    • Posted

Oh, I see. You didn't clarify before. Well, in future, should you wish a partner to test for herpes, never ask them to do or agree to the IgM test, only IgG, and be very clear about that. It's an unreliable test prone to false results/positives, isn't type-specific, proves nothing about recency of infection, causes unnecessary stress and upset (like on this occasion), isn't recommended by the CDC and herpes experts, and is a waste of time/money. Pity it's still offered and that so many doctors don't know any better, as it only causes confusion!
    • Posted

I essentially told her this same thing. What about this nerve pain in my gut? It's kind of on and off... It's insanely annoying.
    • Posted

I'm just so confused man... I think having panic attacks back in March really messed me up. I haven't felt right in two months.
    • Posted

Could well be due to that. Stress and anxiety can mess with your body. Try to relax, distract yourself, exercise, maybe take vitamins, etc., in an attempt to overcome it naturally first, if possible.
    • Posted

Thanks for the kind words, sir. I really need them.
    • Posted

Had more tests done... It's all good. Just need to get my head in the right place.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.