Possible IBS/Celiac..... Help??

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hiya, my issues started suddenly one morning almost 2 yrs ago,,never suffered from stomach/ bowel probs prev...woke up feeling so sick, loss of appitate no energy , stomach cramps and a pressure feeling in my back passage and women's area,,,,GP did lots of tests ESP for ovarian cancer n all clear, lost stone in a wk and half. Further tests for celiac (twice) n negative.  ..had this for four mnths n felt better went private said try a FODMAP diet and drink actimel ".got poorly again two mnths later with exactly the same the dull ache in my back passage is the worse, ..ended up havin a CT scan all clear... Researched on net n talked to friends n decided to cut out all.bread, pasta, coffee, cakes. Pastries. As I also would feel bloated and full at times...I did feel a,to better n ty to stick to gluten free diet...I have had another few episodes as I call them ..the same symptoms just went private again and had sigmoidoscopy and it was all healthy n normal...which is good...but I still don't have answers the Constant dull ache in my back passage is so annoying,it doesn't hurt when I go to the toilet but soe times feels as though there is she thing there ESP wheni ike down or sit.... Anyone else have experienced this ??  

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

hi i have had ibs for a long time now i get a lot of tummy pains then i need to go to the toilet i am on tablets for it are you on any tablets for your ibs i am on peppermint oil tablets but mind you if you are suffering from stress that can make ibs a lot worse

• Posted

This does sound like IBS although I don!t feel full, have bloating or have pain in the back passage.  I started with a bout of persistent constipation, followed by intense stomach pain and then loose stools.  I had four different types of pain that were dull to deep grinding , stabbing and neuralgic sore to touch pain.  Sometimes the pain would attack one area of my stomach and then move right across it.  I would also have rib pain and then I would feel it right up both sides of my back.  It was thought at the time that I had a urinary/kidney infection.  I also had on off nausea.

Celiac tests are not always accurate and can give false negatives.  However, if all your tests show nothing it is likely its is IBS. If a gluten free diet helped you, you may be sensitive to gluten as well.

Has any doctor mentioned Irritable Bowel?  It takes an exhaustive amount of testing to diagnose it.  It took me three and a half months and eight doctors to find out that I had IBS.  By that time, I was in despair and begging for any diagnosis at all if only for an end to panic and pain.  

• Posted

Hi thanks so much for you're reply....yes initially dr said IBS and then after last weeks sigmoidoscopy the consultant said IBS with poss reaction against gluten... I never realised how vary IBS can be and how it takes over you're life 
  • Posted

Leesa, did you give up dairy as it's in actimil! I would suggest avoiding milk and milk products for sure, it was the cause of my nausea, tummy ache and spasms and I followed the liw fodmap but have reintroduced most foods but milk and onion are my demons!!!! Please try x
    • Posted

Ah no, thats somthing I haven't done to be honest...  Will give it a try, thanks for you're comments 
    • Posted

Your symptoms are consistent with lactose intoletance. Mine started after a sickness bug but I had no idea for 18 months and I just hot worse and worse. It was a random suggestion from a friend to give up wheat and dairy and also fructose and I've now found the culprits! But please check all ingredients as whey butter lactose in so many things! I have unsweetened almond milk, vitalite or coconut spread, plain chocolate, soya yogerts, swedish glacé ice cream and there are loads of free from dairy cakes, etc so it really is not that bad! Watch out for gravy and sauces and things cooked in butter when you're out. Even harvester chicken is pumped with milk so ask for ingredients if eating out. I really hope this helps! X
  • Posted

Ibs doesn't just have to be related to diet, it can also be hormone related. I have the depo contraceptive injection so I don't have any changes and my hormones stay level.

Dairy can be a trigger.

Also be aware ibs can be a symptom of other things like chronic fatigue syndrome or fibromyalgia etc.

Complex fibres can also be a trigger. The more fruit and veg I eat the worse my symptoms are. Nuts are also another one as it takes a lot to digest them and the stomach gets stressed and starts ibs symptoms.

Try removing one thing at a time and see which help.

Sue

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.