Possible migraine causes

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had my first migraine at age 14, it was silent but terrifying, I could see properly, that was just the beginning, since then I have suffered temporary hearing loss, vision loss, flashing lights and loss of feeling in my face and hands from migraines! I'm currently taking Gabapentin on lowest dose to prevent the migraines, this doesn't always work but I don't want to up the dose as I don't want the 'numbing' effect like i had on Topamax!

Anyway, I know my migraines are sometimes caused by stress ( I'm a total stress head) but I also know a lot are caused by natural and artificial lighting, I'm getting glasses with a filter to remove the blue in light and that also go darker in all lights, not just in UV light, I'm hoping this will enable me to get off the medications altogether. If you have an over sensitivity to, or find you suffer migraines after being exposed to, certain lighting it may be worth seeing if you are sensitive to the blue in lighting? I will report on here how I get on but I desperately want to be medication free for this as I have to take so much other medication for other conditions I suffer from.

I hope these glasses work, I may be clutching at straws but I'm hoping for a miracle. Thanks for reading lovelies xx

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

For me artificial light is bothersome for quite a while but sunlight is more painful. i finally found dark enough glasses to last me the drive home but never thought of the blue light. I would be interested to hear the results.
  • Posted

Hi Hun thanks for

Your reply! I work under horrid lighting and work with screens a lot as I work in a betting shop so how did u come about getting these glasses??

• Posted

Nothing more than going from store to store. Believe it or not there were dark wrap around glasses with a green tint at a dollar store that worked pretty well but then i found even darker ones at a tobacco store.
    • Posted

Hi hun, I had a horrific migraine 2 weeks ago and with my description on Facebook my friend Louise messaged me saying mine sounded like the ones she used to get, she went to Boots opticians and he said he thought it was a sensitivity to the blue in light and since getting her glasses she's been migraine free! Not cheap but at this point I'm willing to try anything! I'll get my glasses next week so will let you know.

The filter to protect from the blue in light is called 'protect plus blue' and the changing tint is 'extra active grey' I chose grey as it won't go too dark inside buildings but will tint enough to give added protection from the strip lighting in the supermarket where I work.

• Posted

This is the second reply regarding blue light I will seriously need to look into this! Does it make your glasses look really strange?? How much did it cost do you mind me asking x
    • Posted

I don't mind at all lovely. The filter was £70 and the extra active plus was £70 too plus price of frames on top but if they work then they'll be worth their weight in gold for me! I hope you might find some relief soon xx
  • Posted

Hi Jane,

Sorry about your migraines.  We all react differently to the same medication.  I am a senior citizen and have had every test and every medication including acupuncture and herbals.  I was once up to 2400 mg of Neurontin before the Neurologist at a famous hospital and I decided enough was enough.  Am currently on Topamax (topiramate) which is doing nothing.  Have struggled for nearly 14 yrs. now, and when bad weather is on the way the pain is intense.  Take one day at a time and explore all your options...don't leave a stone unturned until you get some relief.  As for me, I am still looking......Good luck.

• Posted

Hi hun,

I have a migraine creeping on right now, plus the arthritis in my back and sciatica are he'll tonight!

Have you tried light filters? I have permanent panda eyes from wearing Sun glasses, even over cast days are too much for me. I'm into 28th year of diagnosed migraine, they've been getting worse over past 12 years, harder to deal with and full on aftermath that feels like the cotton headedness of a hangover, they're awful.

I found Topiramate dreadful and it affected my relationship with my partner and daughter extremely negatively, I'm better on Neurontin but they're not doing what they're supposed to! People keep telling me to stick my feet in hot water and a bag of frozen peas on my neck, sounds like a lot of messing around when all I want to do is throw up and die in a dark quiet corner but I'm determined to try it next time it's bad and I'm at home.

I hope we both find some relief some time soon xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.