Possible MS?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all. One night, About a few weeks ago, I had excruciating lower abdomal pain. So then I went to my GP and he found traces of blood in my urine but the test showed no infection. So then he prescribed me with an antibiotic and a week later, there was no longer blood in my urine. However, two days after taking the antibiotic, I started having urinary retention. So I went to see my urologist twice. First visit, my post void residual was 55ml. Then my second visit it was 105ml (abnormal).

In addition, I've had minor tingling in my arms occasionally. I've also felt minor annoying aches and pains in the weirdest places that lasts for weeks (this time it's the joint in my right arm).

Also, about 2 months ago I started getting minor pain around my left eye socket. I went to see an ophthalmologist and everything checked out good. But until this day, sometimes when I roll my eyeball upwards, it would hurt.

Oh also my back often hurts. Nothing too extreme though. The pain is tolerable even without medication.

By the way, I am only 37 years old. No kids. Blood work checked out all good.

Could this be early signs of Multiple sclerosis? I do smoke and drink (alcohol). I've been a drinker for most of my life. Although after all this I've slowed down quite a bit. Can previous alcoholism cause MS?

Please help! Any advice is greatly appreciated!

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I'm not aware of there being any causal link between alcoholism and MS. While no-one here can say, categorically, that you do, or don't have MS, the statistics are on your side, it probably isn't. I do recommend keeping a journal of what's going on, as, if you continue to be concerned, a record of your symptoms is always handy to take to any Dr's appointments. Obviously, I hope that it turns out to be nothing sinister, but, should you end up with a MS diagnosis in the future, it isn't something that kills, and there are millions of us, around the world, who simply live with it.
    • Posted

Thanks Wendy. So now I'm having pain around my left temple and left eye (not the eyeball itself). It hurts when I look far to the left, with the left eye only. Have you ever had optic neuritis with MS?
  • Posted

Don't blame yourself for MS--my Dad was a heavy drinker and did not get MS.  I don't drink a drop...the key symptom I heard in your case is that pesky urine retention. I wear incontinence pads everyday.  I have been lucky (although I don't feel that way) that was my worst symptom of R/R MS.  Pain or tingling and numbness and problems with vision luckily for me, knock on wood, have mainly passed me by. 
    • Posted

Thank you. So now I'm having pain around my eye. Not the eye ball itself. But when I look far left with my left eye it hurts. Have you had optic neuritis ever since your diagnoses of MS?
  • Posted

Oh, I don't know for sure, but I quit smoking in 2003, hard to continue smoking while walking with a cane.  I am only guessing, but my symptoms haven't progressed as much as I feared and I tell myself that is because I am not smoking.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.