possible new statin??

Posted , 7 users are following.

hello, if you remember my statin was stopped due to abnormal liver enzyme results in repeated blood tests, also a muscle thingy going on. update is that the liver ultra sound showed slight increase in size, also slightly fatty, but no cancers, my doctor suddenly decided that the onset of abnormal blood tests coincided with me taking Fluoxetine, firstly at 20mg, then up to 40mg daily, have stopped them altogether as of Monday, so am praying next blood test shows improvement of the enzymes. he also said if they did improve he wanted me to start 5mg of Rostuvastatin I think it's called, from 40mg of Simvastatin, to 20mg Atorvastatin, to only 5mg of this thing, how does that work then??

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

personally ..I wouldn't touch a statin with a ten foot pole....one doctor told me to stop them because of terrible muscle ache.and he said he wouldn't give me any others because they all had the same side effects...
    • Posted

I so agree with you Lisa - statins wrecked my muscles and some 4 years after stopping I still have issues and have fibromyalgia which is cripplingly painful - I'm convinced cause by the damage from statins.  A statin is a statin is a statin- at any dosage they are going to cause muscle and liver problems - I'll risk a stroke rather than be so disabled I couldnt walk.
  • Posted

If one statin affected your liver so badly I personally wouldn't be taking any of them 
    • Posted

the thing is Jude it would appear that it is NOT the statin causing the problem, the culprit seems to be a drug called Fluoxetine that I was prescribed just before the onset of abnormal blood tests, time will tell. after all I was on statins for 20+ years prior to this with no apparent ill effects, will update with fresh info as and when I have it, thankyou for reading smile
    • Posted

Sorry if I misunderstood, I shouldn't read other people's posts so quickly!
    • Posted

if the doctor thinks it's the Fluoxetine that's caused the liver problems....why would it be nessessary to cut the statin doze to 5mg....
    • Posted

the statin dose cut to 5mg? well I can only assume it is a much more effective, stronger statin for it to work at such a small dose, compared to the 40mg of a different one I was taking a year or so ago.
  • Posted

I understand that doctor stating its probably the Fluoxetine causing your liver problems but statins are renowned for affecting liver function, that's why regular liver checks have to occur whilst on them.

with that in mind I'd be very wary of taking statins with any liver problem. If you stop Fuoxetine to improve liver then you do open door for statins to continue where Fluoxetine left off.

• Posted

Rosuvastatin requires a much lower dosage than the regular statins.  Hence 5mg compared to the regular dose, 40 mg. of simvastatin or 20 mg. of atorvastatin.

My question would be: is that because rosuvastatin is simply a more powerful statin, hence the side effects would stay the same, or is the reduced dosage of rosuvastatin going to acheive what simvistatin does in terms of lowering cholesterol while reducing the statin side effects by 8:1 in the case of simv and 4:1 in the case of atorv?  The fellow cardiologist in my primary's office is thinking going onto rosuvastatin will remedy my memory losses that proliferate when on the statins.

I will say that my memory is better on the atorvastatin at 20 mg than it was when on the simvistatin at 40mg.  But I still cannot find my jacket - with lots of valuables in it - that disappeared a few weeks ago just after our trip from CA to Oregon and back, and while on simvistatin I lost my took kit, which I had exotic tools in that I had collected over a 10 year period.  It just vanished.  And not from being in existence, I am sure.  From my mind.  From my memory of where I last used it and where I put it.

I will start the resuvastatin and see how it goes, but I still do not trust any statins, based on what's being said here.  Has anyone  here had any experience on memory issues with resuvastatin?  Or cessation of other problems because of going from simv to rosuv?  Anyone have stats on how much your cholersterol was reduced by taking any of the statins?  My last lipids panel was after having been off the simv for a year, and since I then went onto atorv and have been on it for a couple of months - since Feb 18 2015 to be exact, going from 40mg to 20mg about half way thru that 2 month period - I want another lipid panel before going off them all, just to see the changes the statins made in the last 2 months of being on them.

• Posted

The two differences between Rouvastatin and Simvastatin are firstly different manifacturers and secondly how they work.

Simvastatin time of effect is 3 hours, so usually patients advised to take a at bedtime, basically same time every day. Its bioavailability is estimated to be around 5% and its excreted mostly through fecal output.

Rosuvastatin time of effect is much longer 19 hours yet it's bioavailability is higher at 20% and it is excreted through urine.

Rosuvasatin can be taken anytime of day, with or without food.

Simvasatatin is the most popular statin as its the cheapest, Rosuvastatin however is one of the most expensive to prescribe and is not usually offered initially upon starting statins, only if other statins cause a problem. 

So basically both of the above fall under the statin drug group.

• Posted

Hi people, I have now decided to stop statins for good following another frightening incident of memory loss when I suddenly could not remember my c/card numbers whilst making a purchase of goods. The staff at the store could see I was in some kind of memory loss mode and asked for my home telephone number to contact my wife but I could not recall it. One of them took my mobile and found the number and got my wife to collect me. My wife immediately got rid of the statins and now one week later I am almost back to normal again,  I was on 80mg max. for 12 years and in that time had no recall for checks, I have now been offered 40mg but politely refused---no more guinea pig trials for me or statins.  Often over the past 8 years or so I commented to friends that I am sure the statins are causing my woes as more things began to take effect on me and doctors paid lttle or no real concern only issuing another brand of statin.  Here are some of my side effects and some are severe--- headaches--eye aches, muscle pain, severe itching and raised weals-shortage of breath,,, believe me I have had the lot and having stopped taking the statins on numerous accasions and the effects clearing am now under no illusion that these things are still in the experimental stage---from rats to humans the experiment with statins continues with us as the guinea pigs and parmaceutiacal companies getting richer.  Good-bye statin you have beaten me.lol
    • Posted

Oh Reggy - well done you for stopping these poisons!  I'm so sorry to hear of the distress they caused you but sincerely hope that you are on the road to recovery now you have stopped.  I too had all of your symptoms particularly the muscle issues and the skin problems - I got no sympathy from my doctor who vaguely suggested 'age' as being the universal reason - hello! I was in my early 50's when I started taking them, hardly past my sell by date.  Other than an exceptionally high cholesterol (reading of 9) I had no other health problems at all, no high blood pressure, blood sugar normal, weight normal, no psoriasis etc., from that good health standpoint I rapidly declined and developed into disability and almost dementia - it was very frightening and particularly as my GPs seemed unconcerned or indifferent.  I didnt get offered a single cholesterol test nor liver enzyme test the whole time I was on the statins, nor since in fact.  I would not have known it was the statins had I not ended up in A&E one day unable to move and the registrar attending advised me that my muscle atrophy was statin induced.  Didnt know whether to laugh or cry but I did go home and flush the rest down the toilet and will never be persuaded again to consider them.  I honestly prefer the risk of a stroke to killing myself slowly by taking these noxious evil drugs.
    • Posted

It does make you wonder if the huge increase in dementia over the last ten years is related to station taking?

i do believe there is a link but doubt the medical profession have even considered it.

• Posted

Statin not ' station' 😄
    • Posted

Sonya...I've been thinking along the same lines...I've never known so many people with dementia....my husbands memory is still terrible even after stopping statins almost 4 years ago...Thankfully it's not dementia...he was tested for that ...even after stopping them...I think in some people there's some damage that can't be repaired...
    • Posted

you're right Reggyside...guineau pigs ...that's what we've been...and it's frightening to think what damage has been done...everything is put down to age....if your memory goes...it's your age....muscle aches....sore joints...it's your age....never the statins...Well done for stopping...
    • Posted

Funny you should raise that sonya.  Someone on another post about statins actually quoted some research and medical facts that lack of cholesterol is a cause of dementia/alzheimers - so maybe even if the drugs themselves dont cause it, the unnatural reduction in cholesterol levels in otherwise healthy people could be causing problems.  How scary this all is and I felt so helpless as my GPs wouldnt listen to me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.