Possible Oesophagitis

Posted , 7 users are following.

Doctor thinks I have Oesophagitis. Last couple of days I've developed painful swallowing.

Does this mean I have Barrett's or will get it? I'm terrified. Please any feedback would be appreciated.

1 like, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Many of us here swear by DGL. It usually start working within a couple of days (swallowing easier etc.)
  • Posted

Dear dani barrets oesephigus i believe happens over a period of time, i shouldnt worry by you having a bout of oesophagitis, i had it once and gastits too on a seperate occasion. I would only worry if it kept happening but then would say to request regular endoscophys x
  • Posted

Thanks for the quick response. I'm having an endoscopy in a weeks time. I've read and read on Google (bad idea) that odynophagia is an alarm symptom of Gerd so I went into panic mode.

Is issues with swallowing a common symptom? Does it necessarily mean something sinister has happened?

I'm 25 by the way.

• Posted

Dear Danni it will affect your swallowing to a certain extent, my chest felt on fire when i had it and was extremely painfull, an endoscophy is the best thing to have, it will probably take a while to totally clear up as it did for me and try not to read too much on the internet!
    • Posted

Hi. Yes I'm having chest pain too. The chest pain gets worse whilst swallowing too.

I've heard it takes a while. I guess I'm wondering how bad it is in there. Guess that's the doctors job to find out.

Appreciate the quick replies though. Thanks.

• Posted

Hi Pinkcatfairy, do you mind if I ask how did your reflux clear up
    • Posted

I was put on omeprezole and zantac but being on omeprezole for too long can cause side effects like really gassy stomach, i just avoided coffee tea and alcohol and things like chocolate, i have a mild hiatas hernia so i think this didnt help, i still get heartburn now and then but havent had a flare up since. I also have bed raised so i dont get reflux at night and try not to eat late at night, fatty foods will make it worse too x
    • Posted

Yes when i had the bad pain i was really worried if it was causing damage but thankfully the endoscophy didnt show anything bad,
    • Posted

That's good to hear. Can you describe the chest pain? Was it burning or more stabbing? Also when you experienced Oesophagitis did you have pain swallowing?
    • Posted

Thanku, I too was put on omeprazole and zantac, but my throat still hurts, I get horse sometimes and I also have the hiatas hernia 3cm. I go in this morning for another endoscopy. I am scared of getting cancer. I dont eat spicy or fatty foods and I stay away from alcohol. How long can mess camaflouge the problem. My entire said I should look into having surgery
    • Posted

And how long can meds
    • Posted

Dear tata that good you steer clear of foods and drink that can make prob worse, i do eat and drink things that prob i shouldnt, that gd you have endoscophy it is the best thing to see what is going on x
    • Posted

The pain was burning but at the height of it, it felt like it was going right through me it was quite painfull!!, it did affect swallowing to a certain extent im not sure if it was painful though but i suppose it depends where the inflammation is and how bad
    • Posted

I did the endoscopy and their was an abnormal finding so I am worried. I have to wait on the biopsy
    • Posted

Hi have just seen your post, I am back on here again as today I have the sore throat and chest feeling and like a lot of people of here have had GERD for a number of years. I have been on esomeprazole for 9 years and since January the chest pains are worse. All tests come back clear, my GP will not give me another endoscope as I have had one in the last 7 years and she say's nothing will have happened !!! Like you I cannot describe the pain sometimes it is really sharp and sometimes burning and stabbing, but the one I hate the most is the sore hoarse feeling down between my breasts which feels as if the inside is raw a bit like when you have chest infection with lots of coughing, which I do not have. Like you I worry about barretts, but my GP does not seem bothered so what do you I do. Luckily I do not have the pain when swallowing unless of course I am greedy and eat bread too quickly. Try not to worry until next week, easier said than done, but as I always say, I am not being sick, no blood from anywhere and not losing weight so things must be ok. Take care
    • Posted

Hi, young at heart, I have the same issues, I had an endoscopy in february, and since then I feel that I have gotten worse. My gastroenterologist wouldn't do another endoscopy so I found me another gastroenterologist who did an endoscopy yesterday, and found some abnormalities. I am waiting on biopsy results. Very scared its going to be bad news

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.