possible pulmonary embolism.... please help!!!!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Let me give you guys a little background history and then my symptoms.

I'm 21, been told I'm healthy. Have gotten a catscan done back in February for an elevated d dimer, came back negative. Went back to the hospital in May, d dimer was 100 over what's considered "normal" got another catscan done, came back negative for pulmonary embolism.

Now for my symptoms, I feel short of breathe and I I've had this burning like pain around where my bra strap goes with a feeling like it's getting pinched. Today though, I felt like I was going to die. I felt like my ribs were stuck to my skin and I've been having this pressure like pain on the side of my ribs in the right side. I get occasionally short of breathe and the pain comes and goes. Nothing I can't stand. It doesn't hurt when I breathe either but I'm afraid it'll be a blood clot. Got told if I didn't have one then in the beginning of the month, I don't have one now but they can for at any time, really. If I go to the hospital again, they won't do a catscan because it's too much radiation.

Now, I do have anxiety so some of the things I feel I excuse as that. But honestly, what do you guys think? Please don't be rude. I'm just looking for honest answers.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, you poor thing, thats not a nice feeling, anixety and panic attacks cause the same sort of feeling, when my clots where diagnosed my d dimer results come back over 2500 and i had vq scans to see where they were, go back to your gp are you taking the pill is that whats frightening you??

Take care

amanda

• Posted

Hello. Amanda.

I'm not on the pill. My d dimer was just 350 and the normal is 250. Got a catscan and had nothing. Was told I wouldn't get one if I didn't have it then.

I have health anxiety and I'm convinced I have a clot although I have little to no symptoms at all. Besides shortness of breathe that's a major anxiety symptom which I've been checked for multiple times and been told it's just anxiety.

What were your symptoms when. You decided to go to the hospital?

The main and possibly the only one I have is shortness of breathe that comes randomly. The pain I have comes and goes and isn't excruciating either.

I have an appointment on the 12th to check my d dimer and see if it's normal again. I was told by two different doctors that your d dimer can be high for millions of reasons therefor it's a "junk test" in the words of the doctors.

Just trying to ease my mind.

The shortness of breathe has been a little worse today. Called the paramedics, checked everything, my oxygen was at 100% and my lungs sounded clear. It comes randomly.

So once again, what were your symptoms?

• Posted

Hi there,

My symptons come on really sudden couldnt catch my breathe and the pain was unbearable breathing in and out like someone stabbing me, coughing up blood, sweating, i got taken to a&e to be told i had an infection of my chest bone! No tests just a doctor looked at my notes said take these if u get any worse call 999 my oxygen level was down to 90% too, not a good time at all, if it wasnt for my local gp i prob wouldnt have been here now! This time symptons werent as bad breathless and pain when yawning sneezing, laying on my left side coz of my history they didnt hang about, so symptons do vary,

it is a scary thought thinking u may have a clot, i hope u get to the bottom of symptons so u can put your mind at rest

good luck

amanda

• Posted

Hello, thanks for responding back.

My symptoms come an go. I have health anxiety and have been told a lot of the way I feel is due to that since I've seen different doctors and have gotten many test and just been told it's anxiety.

I'm afraid it'll be a clot and they'll take me serious when it's too late or I have a cardiac arrest. The thought of it seems silly but the way I feel doesn't. I've been having a headache and my body feels cold... usually after an anxiety attack. I'm afraid it's something serious and they aren't taking me serious.

I have an appointment to get blood test done to check my d dimer in about two weeks. I might just push it sooner so my mind will be at ease.

• Posted

Also, a lot of my symptoms are anxiety wise.
    • Posted

Hello, Amanda. Where was the pain in your chest area?
  • Posted

Hi there

I'm five months on from a P/E now, (my d dimer was 3,000), but about 3 weeks after being discharged from hospital I started having chest pains, (now realise that that is just 'normal' for me now), and it scared me to death.....I really thought it was a new P/E.... I started having a panic attack which just made the symptoms worse and worse.  I ended up in hospital overnight, was checked out and told there were no signs of a new P/E.  However, I would still be seeking medical attention if I had the slightest suspicion that anything was wrong.  P/E's, (or the likelihood of them), are just too serious to ignore.  Make a nuisance of yourself...go back to your GP...if it is anxiety-related maybe you could get some help for that?

Best of luck and I hope you get some reassurance soon.

Alex x

• Posted

Hello, Allexie. My d dimer was 350 so they were concerned about it. Got a catscan and came back negative. That was in May. In February it was 400, got a catscan and also came back negative. I was told that the d dimer test is a junk test by two different doctors. They also told me my chances of having a PE was likely to none. Especially since back in February it came back higher. The normal here is 250. Been to the ER about three times after the catscan in may and was told if I didn't have one then I don't have one now. I have health anxiety and am obsessed about me having a blood clot.

May I ask what were your symptoms?

The pain I have just comes and goes. It doesn't hurt a lot nor does it hurt more when I breathe in. I do have shortness of breathe that comes randomly too. Not gasping for air.

I've been assured I don't have one but I'm still doubtful about it.

• Posted

Hi again

My symptoms started with leg pain but as I had just returned from Peru and walking part of the Inca Trail I just thought it was muscle strain.  It was a DVT!  Then I had a persistent cough and a bit of slight chest discomfort which I put down to a winter bug that everyone else seemed to have too at the time.  I just seemed to go downhill from there over a couple of weeks until I just had no energy and couldn't walk far.  After  bit of Googling I realised what it was and called the medics.  The d dimer seemed to convince the docs that something was wrong and a CT scan confirmed the P/E.  It seems strange but at no time did I feel really ill or in great pain so it was a huge shock to be told I could drop dead any minute!  To be honest, for me, the psychological effects have been the worst bit....PTS, anxiety, depression and so on.

I really feel for you as I know what it's like to worry constantly about having a P/E.  I do hope you get some peace of mind soon.

Alex x

• Posted

Hello😑

Hello, again Allexie.

The thought of me actually having one seems silly when I think about it but when I feel little pinching feelings around my bra line area they seem real.

I don't have pain when I inhale or exhale nor do I have excruciating pain. Nor am I coughing out blood and nor am I gasping for air. I feel short of breathe a lot but not to the point where I'm gasping for air.

I've read that a pulmonary embolism is a "silent killer" and I'm afraid that's what's going to happen to me.

What was your d dimer if you don't mind me asking?

• Posted

I've read that people who do have a PE there d dimer is extremely high. Like thousands and such. Mine was just 350 so it's low... just a hundred over what's considered "normal" but what if thru the weeks it went higher?
    • Posted

One more question, did yoy have any pain in your chest area? If so, where?
    • Posted

Hello again,

My pain first time was lower left lung at the back and top by my collar bone, these ones was a feeling of being hit across my back! So both different. If u r really concerned dont give up make your self a pest and explain your worries u will get a doctor that will listen

take care

amanda

• Posted

Sorry for the million questions.

One more, I know you're not a doctor but from your experience and your truthful honest answer, do you believe what I'm feeling is just anxiety and not a blood clot? Can your d dimer increase over time or how does that work?

I'm just 21 and ice read a lot that age doesn't matter nor does time. I'm afraid I'll die from it.

• Posted

Thats ok ask as many as u like, im def not no doctor, everyone pe is different and both mine experiences were, my friend suffers from anxiety and panic attacks and some of her sypmtoms are very much the same, its awful for her to go through as it occurs so offen. U can never rule anything out go bk and speak to your gp hopefully they can put your mind at rest. I was told a normal d dimer reading was 250=300ish so your not far off.

please take care and try and relax

amanda

• Posted

Hello, Amanda.

My d dimer was 350 last time they checked it.

Im going to push my blood test appointment sooner so my mind will relax.

I'm having a pressure like feeling in my back. Kind of in the middle.

• Posted

One more to add, did it feel like anxiety to you? Did you get clammy skin?
    • Posted

Hoi hey zeidy how r doing ?? Is everything fine now?? I have same symptoms as you have but doctors are not at all listening they just say that it's anxiety ..what should I do ??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.