Possible Renal cell carcinoma questions to anyone having Kidney cancer

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi in mid November I was diagnosed with Diverticulitis. In doing Ct for that they found almost 1 inch mass in left kidney and about 1/2 inch one in right. I know these are rather small, But because of the Diver I have to wait 2 months for partial kidney romaval on left side. Docs said they dont know if it is cancer until biopsy when they do removal. I have had 5 uranalysis since and all show trace of blood in urine and uti and kidney stones have been ruled out and according to what I have read the only other thing to cause is cancer. Anyway for about a month I have had continual pain on leftside all right under ribs and pressure on it makes hurt more. Nausea too but no vomiting. Quetions are has anyone who has this small of a mass had pain? if so did they find out why? My doc has said it is to small to cause pain. I have read that if it has spread that it can cause pain but can find nothing about how large of a growth it has to be to spread so can it be this small and have spread? I also from all my reading it said if you have blood in urine then it means the cancer has progressed..so why is my doc not taking note of this, Please help. tell me your stories please

thanks

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Vonda02571 - Sorry to hear about your worrying health problems.  I became very anximous in the not knowing/being left in limbo stage too!  In Dec 2013 they found a 3mm 'mass' in my left kidney when I asked to be referred for an ultrasound scan after repeated UTIs. And at the end of January 2014 I had open surgery (curved S shaped cut through my stomach (left side) whilst lying on my back as I have a bad neck) - partial nephrectomy.  It turned out to be a stage T1a Eble Type 2 Papillary Renal Cell Carcinoma.  I did not have any symptoms whatsever and the UTIs were not related they said.  I would have thought since your masses are very small they would still be in stage T1a and not metastised elsewhere?  The kidney is a closed, self-contained organ so it would be difficult to spread if it is a tumour originating in the kidney?  As I had open surgery it took me quite a few months to recouperate but every 6 months the CT scan so far has come back clear, and my next scan will now be in 12 months' time.  Do hope you can have your operation soon so that the doctors can take a good look inside your body to check everything OK and remove the 'offending' bits. Do tell the doctors about your worries so they can do a thorough job! Very best of luck and I keep my fingers crossed for you!
    • Posted

Thank you so much for writing back. So I am of coarse still learning all this stuff and t1a means contained within the kidney? Mine is half way in and half way out would it have made it easier to spread even though it is a bit less then 1 in in size?.

Thank you again

• Posted

Hi Vonda0271,  may find this link helpful http://www.cancer.org/acs/groups/cid/documents/webcontent/003052-pdf.pdf - this explains things briefly, e.g. staging, T being a tumour, size 1a being under 3cm. My Furhman grade was 3, 1 being the least aggressive and 4 the most.  And also there is a more comprehensive leaflet called 'We have kidney cancer' which you can download once you have registered with the website: http://www.kidneycancer.org/download-we-have-kidney-cancer/  ; I found that one very informative and useful - filled me with hope.  Hope the info helps giving you more clarity and ideas for questions for the doctors.  Maja

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.