Possible rotator cuff tear?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello everyone!

I'm 18 years old and I'm experiencing shoulder pain for 4 years (discomfort and snapping along with pain in shoulder for 2 years).

I'm really scared of the possibility, that I could have a rotator cuff tear (of course I self-asessed it).

I haven't got pain from rows, pull ups, overhead press, deadlifts, squats and dips. I also haven't got any pain at night sleeping on my shoulders and I never had dislocations, even partial or minor dislocations.

I have pain on the Obriens test (if I retract and depress my scapula, otherwise not), empty can test, zero degree abduction test and on the Hawkings impingement test (of some sort).

If I go too low on push ups or bench presses, I also get shoulder pain with snapping.

If I raise my shoulder shoulders from hyperextension to flexion I feel snapping with pain at around 20 degrees of shoulder flexion. After that stage the feeling of beeing a bit locked in the shoulder is not there on the rest of the movement.

If I raise my shoulder in the direction of my opposite shoulder (across the chest) I get pain and a bit cracking, too.

If I'm lying on my side, I also get snapping, intense pain and a feeling of beeing locked. After that snap the pain isn't there and there is no feeling of beeing locked. This is especially interesting because, if I push down on my humerus during the side lying abduction, I haven't got that snapping so much, there is no discomfort, no feeling of beeing locked and no pain.

I can imagine, that the supraspinatus is torn and there isn't as much depression of the humeral head and because of that it's impinging and snapping.

The painful arch with the snapping and locking is strange in my case. It's between 15 and 30 degrees, if I'm lying on my side. In standing abduction, that's the same, except for some pain and cracking at 60 to 80 degrees of abduction.

Furthermore I haven't got any weaknesses on internal and external rotation exercises. I also can do lateral raises (in external rotation). Dips, overhead presses, pull ups, rows etc. feel fine.

Between, I also feel popping in the upper portion of my scapula, if I retract them (retract the scapula).

I hope somebody can help me, because I love working out and that issue is holding me back, even in everyday life.

Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Nick, You problem has "bits" that sound like a supraspinatus injury. It would be best to see your doctor and he should arrange for an ultrasound scan. They're very accurate for diagnosing rotator cuff tears. In your case a physiotherapist may be able to help you avoid surgery but at any rate the success rate for supraspinatus repairs are very good, or so I was told by an orthopaedic surgeon.

• Posted

I have very bad experiences with doctors, so I would like to avoid that.

How much space is between the humeral head and the acromion?

Because, if I touch that area (doesn't hurt, when I touch it) I can't fit my finger in there (there isn't much space). Is this normal?

I think I have superior humeral head migration, but full range of motion. How to self-asess this area for abnormal humeral head position (anterior gilde or superior gilde).

I also might have weak subscapularis and maybe a bit downwardly rotated shoulders.

• Posted

Honestly all your doing is worrying yourself sick self-assessing.

Go see a Surgeon and get an opinion from an expert.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.