Possible scaphoid fracture.

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had a fall while out yesterday and went to A & E as a precaution. Really didn't think it would be a fracture . Was very surprised when doctor said I might possibly have a scaphoid one. Surprised because the pain wasn't really in that location. Thought I had just bruised my hand. Pain is mild. He put it in plaster as a precaution. I have to go back on Tuesday for a new xray. Has anyone had similar and then had plaster removed after 2nd xray?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi katejo; you will know if it's a Scaphoid fracture if you hold affected hand in the form of a right angle (with thumb at R) angles to the remainding fingers) then you try to bend thumb back towards wrist, with aid of other hand,.....if this causes real pain, then Yes, it is fractured....if Not, then ?only bruising...........if it is fractured, it is likely that you should really have it in back-slab for more than a couple of days/weeks....most fractured bones take about 6 weeks to heal.........good luck   Bron

• Posted

Hi Bronwyn

Yes i know that a confirmed fracture will need 6 weeks (although a colleague only had plaster for 1 week and was then allowed to switch to a wrist support). I have read of the test which you mention but can't really try it with plaster on can I? Movement is too restricted. I was however really surprised when the doctor said I might have a fracture there.

• Posted

Hi Bronwyn

I tried your test as far as possible. I can't quite get the thumb at right angles because of the plaster but can get most of the way. I tried bending it back (gently) and it only causes slight discomfort. I also read somewhere that it is unlikely to be a fracture if you can cross your fingers. have you heard that one? I can partly do that. the discomfort seems to be from the bruised back of hand/base of fingers. Will just have to hope. Perhaps though the xrays on tuesday still won't be conclusive? i keep reading that the follow up appointment should be 10 days later not 4 days.

I really don't want to be in plaster for weeks again and I am supposed to be going on a short holiday in just over 2 weeks.

• Posted

Hi Bronwyn

I was back at the hospital today so will give an update in case it helps anyone else with a possible scaphoid fracture. Once the plaster bandage was off, i tried your test and could do it without any great problem. I have slight tenderness near the wrist.  Fairly good news from the doctors.  Plaster removed and replaced with a splint and 2nd X ray done  but have to wait another 2 weeks for a further X- ray to be sure that there is no fracture. This is because doctors can't see evidence of scaphoid fractures until the bone is mending.

• Posted

Hi

Here is an update on mine. I finally went back to the hospital today. I had convinced myself that I didn't have a scaphoid fracture and that I probably had no fracture. i have been wearing the splint but have been able to take it off for a rest and use my hand without more than slight discomfort at the base of the thumb. I have full movement of it. I was eventually told today (after final x rays) that it wasn't a scaphoid fracture but a radial styloid fracture. It has now mostly healed and the hospital has discharged me. i just have to use the splint for a couple more weeks.

• Posted

Hi kayejo11

I'm glad you finally have an answer.

I hope it continues to heal well but do go back if you have any more problems.

Best wishes

• Posted

Katejo11,

I'm glad you've almost got yours over with take care of yourself and still get on here and chat with us.

• Posted

Katejo, I have had a similar problem, I fell at work on June 30 and did an incident report, my hand felt like it had a stone bruise, like when you walk in the summertime without shoes on concrete or pavement and walk to heavy, but I went to work the next day because it was starting to feel worse I went to a work force place that's affiliated with one of out big hospital that has a wonderful reputation and they took x-rays and said that I had a fracture in my wrist right at the thumb area and they were even trying to call an Ortho doctor but too close to 4th of July and so I had to wait on workers comp got sent to the Ortho doctor finally on July 12 and he said that it wasn't fractured but still kept having problems with it and he did an Cortisone injection said the fall had caused a Arthritic Episode, which it didn't feel like, felt like he hit something during the injection and things have went down hill ever since so I think the first doctors were right. Doctor now says he thinks I might have Carpel Tunnel going for a Nerve Conduction Study this Thursday and he said that Carpel Tunnel is generally not caused from work related injury but I know I was fine till I had the fall and things got worse after the injection so I think he might have hit a nerve. I am now waiting on a second opinion and wish they would hurry up and send me for that because I think they need to do a bone scan as that shows the bone in motion and your supposed to be able to see if I had a fracture there, better than an x-ray is what I hear so I don't know if there being a fracture is part of the problem but I had 5 Doctors tell me that I had a hairline fracture in my scaphoid bone but Ortho sticks with what he first told me. I had Arthritis for a year before I had the fall and injections usually made me feel better within a couple days not get progressively worse which is what mines done it's moved from my thumb area to the whole palm of my hand and it travels across my wrist and up my arm and is starting to affect my pinky, ring finger and bird finger. I just want a definitive answer of what to do to make it better the way it stands now if it keeps going I feel like I'm gonna have significant disability in that hand and arm by the way it feels right now. Anyways I hope everything works out for you and you get your definitive answer when you can get on with normal activities may God bless and keep you is my prayer. Keep us updated as to what happens.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.