Possible signs of side effects after 6 weeks shoud I stop?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Been on Lansoprazole 30mg for just over 6 weeks. Within the last fornight I've start to get a strange taste in mouth some times its like rubber. Also stomach has after a period of getting better has started to flare up with bad aches, burning sensation, rumbles and initially alot of wind which thankfully would release through the rear. It was however very potent in odour (sulpherouous). The last few days this has now manifested in very loose stools.

I had managed to relieve the taste a little sucking on sugar free Polo mints but due to the number of them taken they may be responsible for the looose movement due to the sorbitol. Also Gaviscon liquid helps with the burning but doesn't last longer than aroud 4-5 hours. A freind suggested to try a probiotic but I'm unsure if this will help or make worse.

Now I'm open to suggestions to hopefully get off using Lansoprazole or maybe some alternate tablet. I do have a cocktail of other meds for high blood pressure and type 2 diabetes which haven't change in over 6 months so have rulled these out as possible problems as both being under control.

Thanks

Kenneth

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

hi kenneth

i appear to be in the same position as you have been taking lansoprazole for the past 3 weeks worked really well after a couple of days continued to work well until after 10 days started to feel sick constant heartburn and acid reflux stomach cramps advised to up the dose to 30mg twice a day which has made this worse so am going to drop back to one tablet and gaviscon i started to take a probiatic which i found helped with stomach problems worth a try i feel lansoprazole doesnt always work think it is trial and error until you found the right treatment how are you feeling now did you go back to the doctors and manage to find suitable treatment

• Posted

Hi there. Things got a little worse before they started to improve. Have managed to get down to 15mg per day and now about  a week and a bit taking 15mg every other day to try and ween me of them. I also have been using a probiotic now and again but not every day as never have been a fan of youghart tasting type things but so far things have settled down. Ocassionally have to use gaviscon but I know that is because of eating something I shouldn't but really enjoy. Me bad. The best way to as we all know is to be careful with our diet but it can be very hard. With me trying to deal with all my other health issues the last thing at times I can be bothered with is faffing around at mealtimes. I hate to say but ready meals and take aways are way too easy when you can't be bothered or a feeling a bit down. Really trying now to get away from this but with being alone its sometimes hard to motavate yourself. But aleast now the positive days are more than the negative ones.
  • Posted

hi kenneth

glad to hear you are feeling a little better i have cut my tablets down to once a day now and see how it goes it is im afraid down to our diet and mine is stress that is what appears to trigger my heartburn and reflux have cut out all processed foods coffee chocolate ect just to see if that helps just a bland diet which is not very exciting glad to hear you are feeling better though take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.