Possible TIA?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am a 22 year old female that’s a tad underweight, I don't smoke and only on occasion maybe have one or two alcoholic drinks.

Three days ago it was getting a little late and I was feeling a little weak (not unusual for me) so I went and got in bed. I started to feel dizzy and really lightheaded as I was walking up the stairs but managed to get undressed and into bed. My heart beat started racing and I had pains in my chest, after a few minutes lay there wondering what was happening to me I started to feel pins and needles in the left side of my face, which rapidly spread to my shoulder, arm, leg and foot all on the left side of my body. My heart was still beating rapidly, which I recall was really quite painful and my vision started to blur then eventually blacked out. I can remember having a funny taste in my mouth then the whole left side of my body felt really numb and weak like I couldn't move. I was still awake through all of this. In the meantime my partner had come into the room when I tried to talk to him but I only mumbled gibberish telling him I was OK but really I was thinking that I needed an ambulance. After what I think was about ten minutes the symptoms started to subside and I regained my vision but was still pretty shaken at what had happened. I didn't have the brain capacity at the time to know what to do plus I didn't have the energy either and just wanted to sleep.  

The day after I woke up and felt quite rough with a headache

Three days later I still don't feel like myself, still getting dizzy spells and headaches. 

I think that I should probably go to the doctors, but what do I say to them when they ask why I didn't go there sooner? 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Dear Lucy,

With all due respect...why do you care what the doctor has to say about you waiting?  Don't worry about that.  You should be more concerned about being 22 and possibly having a stroke.  Take care of yourself.  I know that it can be intimidating at times in a doctor's office or an emergency room, but what's more important...your life or answering a doctor's question about waiting?  I really don't have any answers or ideas for you. I'm not a doctor and I don't have any ideas about what it could be, but I do know that if I were in your position I would go to a doctor immediately.  I know that you've come to this forum because you are fearful and looking for an answer.  The answer is to go to a professional to check into this situation and give you answers.  Your life is the only one you have and will ever have.  Don't worry about doctor's opinions except their trained opinion about your health.  That's what they are PAID for.  The only thing you owe them are the facts about how your body feels and how it effects you physcially and in some cases emotionally...that's it.  It's their job to diagnose you issue and if they cant do that in a respectful and professional manner then it's your responsibility to get another opinion.  Doctors aren't God's...they're human beings that go to school and get trained about the body and learn to diagnose things that don't operate properly..that's it.  So always know this and do what is best...get checked out. 

My apologies if it seems like I'm lecturing you. You're so young and if I were your Mom I would be extremely worried for you having these issues at your age. Heck I'm a stranger and concerned for you.  It's not normal and it could a multitude of things that could be simply corrected or it could be something serious but preventable...but you wont  know that until you go and find out.  Your body is obviously trying to tell you something.  As you age and mature, please remember to get to know your body and it's needs.  Everyone is unique and your body will tell you when something is wrong.  I hope you will listen to my advice and go.  Please let us know how it turns out for you.  

Warmly,

beth4700

I hope that this doesn't sound too much like a lecture.  I apoligize if it does but I would prefer you think the worst of me but get yourself checked out just in case it's something that you can get taken care of early.

• Posted

Hi Lucy, all I am going to say is listen to what Beth has said and get yourself checked out, hopefully the doctor will tell you everything is ok then your mind will be at rest but if there is any problems the sooner you find out the sooner you will get the treatment you may need. Good luck and God bless xxx
  • Posted

Hi Lucy,

Sounds a tad bit scary and I feel for you, Now I'm going to say the same thing as the previous posters get and see your doctor in case it was a TIA but what you have just described may of been  (you're not going to like what I say but they can mimic a lot of conditions) just a Panic/anxiety attack, the reason I mentioned this is because you said that you said you felt pins and needles in your face, Hyperventilation can cause that and all the other symptoms you felt rushing through your body may well of been pure Adrenalin causing the other symptoms, The other thing that also mimics a TIA is Migraine headaches (according to our emergency department) no-one is immune to them and can develop them at any stage in their life (how true this is I would not know) and finally it could of been a TIA but the symptoms of a TIA only usually last 20 minutes to an hour and then you appear to be back to normal, Don't ignore your symptoms and go see your doctor or even go to your local emergency department if you still don't feel right and explain to them what happened and they can perform all the tests whilst you are there in emergency

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.