Possible to just shave bunion?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Does anyone know if it is possible to just shave a bunion, to reduce it in size, without the rest of the surgery?  Both my feet have bunions but while one of them is OK the other is larger and has been for ages, and that one is making it hard to fit shoes. I don't want to go through what sounds like major hassle after surgery but I sure would like my shoes to be the same size. 

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Sorry Choosie but I don't think so - a bunion is a misalignment of the bone down the side of your foot, so even though it looks like a bone just sticking out, the cause of it is the bone jutting out at an angle, so I don't think it could just be shaven. Depending on where you live there might be the option of minimally invasive, keyhole style surgery, however there's still a hefty recovery plan with this. Your best option is to make an appointment with a really good orthopaedic surgeon and discuss options with them. Hope that helps?

• Posted

Thanks Ozzycee. I will probably do that depending on the replies. If it is still going to be weeks or months then I probably wouldn't do it, it doesn't really hurt. 

• Posted

Hi yes it is I had a fusion on my right good and the bunion on my left good shaved and am walking on my left foot after 2 weeks
  • Posted

I really don't think so! Most people think that's what I had done so they have no clue why iam still spending most of the day on the couch.

If you have bunions it usually means that the big toe joint is distorted and that has to addressed by breaking and re-setting bones

• Posted

I have looked at some Xrays and see what it might be with the joint not just a growth on the bone. 
    • Posted

Well said. An osteotomy is when the MTPI is being broken and re set. Depending on which technique is being done, there a different recovery periods and ways to deal with it. It is an operation and therefore one will have to have time out. Just shaving the bone is stupid and for a bunion operation the joint is not touched, therefore no fusion.
  • Posted

Hi, a fusion just to clarify, means fusion a joint, making it stiff. Unless you have arthritis you do not want a fusion. A bunion is corrected by an osteotomy. There are lots around, some with screws, plates or just a wire which is removed after. You really ought to get some more information of the internet and look at the different techniques. The most common are Scarf or Chevron. The micro invasive one called Boesch. So have a google and see what is best for you. Whatever you do, it is an operationand will take time.
    • Posted

I'm grateful to everyone who offered comments, it's given me a clearer idea of what to look for when I'm googling. 

• Posted

About the same, my toe points inwards more though. How is your foot now? 
    • Posted

I had this done 21st June just had bone shaved and had a boot on for 2 weeks then a sandal with velcro fastening it is ok and am able to walk on it

Had the other big toe fused at the same time so still have boot on that one

this is my foot now 6 weeks on

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.