Possible vestibular neuritis

Posted , 5 users are following.

I woke up with dizziness a week after having a cold. Pressure in right ear. Wake up shaky each morning. Anyone else experience this? Seems mornings are the worst. It has limited so much for me. Cannot go into stores. Mine is constant. Had some nausea at the start but no nausea or vomiting now. Doctor unsure if it is vestibular issue. It has been going on for 3 weeks. CT scan tomorrow.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Probably a neurovistibular issue - viruses can do a number on you. Time, vestibular exercise, rest and patience.

best,

linda

• Posted

Thank you. I have been trying to do my best not to worry and to rest the best I can. Many thoughts are that steroids can help along with vestibular exercises.
    • Posted

From what I understand, it's best not to take anything when you're doing the exercises because it doesn't force the brain to re habituated, but I don't know specifically about steroids

best,

linda

• Posted

Just heard from a few others that it was what helped the most. Not sure would have to look into it a little more.
  • Posted

Google the half somersault maunver and try that at home. It works for me for this.
  • Posted

Sending you good thoughts and wishes, I'm in week 12, good days, bad days - however as a whole I am better, just a lot of anxiety and brain fog + eye nystagmus.

Word of caution, when you start feeling better keep up the VRT, stay away from alcohol and get plenty of rest. Around the Superbowl eariler this month I started back with beer which effected my sleep cycle, lost about a month of progress.

• Posted

Thank you so much. I get results back from CT scan Monday. Hoping all is fine. I have been doing the exercises daily and will take your advice to do them daily even when feeling better. I am trying to avoid alcohol. My anxiety seems to be bad and I never had anxiety before. I feel like I have more brain fog than dizziness. Did you have other tests done before you figured out it was vestibular neuritis? How is your appetite? I don't have any. Is morning difficult for you to get up? I know so many questions but always feels better to know someone else has gone through it.

• Posted

I never had bad anxiety either, from time to time I would worry- but not like this.

Sounds like we have identical symptoms for the most part, first off you're going to get better that's a given. For some people, ones who never need a forum like this it can be just a few weeks, for others with mitigating circumstances it can be months - however I try and take heart that when long-time a poster drop off, it means they recovered and moved on.

That's hope - right there.

Hang in there, you are going to recover and move on.

• Posted

Thank you for the encouragement. Very scary and uncomfortable symptoms. I know it will pass, but the unknown is the hardest part.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.