possibly diabetic

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had a routine blood test a few months ago and my GP said my blood sugar is a bit high, I might have diabetes and she wants to test me again in 3 months. So of course I looked up the symptoms and found weight loss was one... I have been losing half a pound a week since October so 10 lbs overall and was really wondering why. And now I am getting constant thirst which is increasing all the time... I just made an appointment to see her but as usual it's not for three weeks and now I'm really worried. Is there anything I can do in the meantime? I have an excellent diet, I don't really like sugar so no cakes, puddings, sweets etc, no fast food, no white bread, not much rice... and now I only weigh 7 stone 13 so way underweight. Oh, and I'm 70 years old. I'm scared and worried, diabetes is the last thing I would have expected.

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Sue,

Easy for me to say - but please do not panic. I was in a similar situation 18 months ago.

The first thing I would say is that do not accept this 3weeks appointment excuse. Unfortunately these days you have to push and insist on an earlier appointment, if the nurse is insisting on three weeks then insist that you speek directly with your GP directly. I know it can be difficult but you must insist.

I am know expert and of course we are all different but when I found out I immediately stopped all sugar, and did not eat any veg that grows underground i.e. potatoes, swede, carrots etc. 

I drank plenty of water (I read the more you drink the more you wee-sorry) and this helps clear the system.

The other thing I did was to self test regulaly my BG levels, many docotors will advise against self testing, but, it is my body and my system so I am sure I can sensibly test it.

I guess at the end of the day my response is push, push for that appointment and do not accept no for an answer. You are the patient with concerns and should not be expected to fit into their diary!!!!

I wish you well and if you want further help then let me know.

All the best,

Graham.

• Posted

Alas, insisting just doesn't work, this is a central London practice and they only have emergency appts, and I'm certainly not an emergency!

How do you test your own BG levels and what are they?

I drink plenty of water because I'm always thirsty....

I don't understand, if I cut out all sugar (not that I consume much) and root veg won't I just lose more weight, and I'm very underweight already? Do you really mean all sugar, eg bread has sugar, and all fruit, should I stop eating bananas, grapes, dried fruit etc? 

• Posted

Hi Sue,

I am somewhat confused, even though in London surely this is a GP's practice and therefore cannot be emergency only they should see any patient. My other reaction is that you are an emergency as you are looseing weight.

To test your blood sugar levels is fairly easy you can by a test kit from a well known website (unfortunately in this forum one is not allowed to promote companys) but if you search for Codefree system which is what I use then you should get results. I test six times a day and keep a log of my readings and averages. 

Re-reading your initial message did the GP not tell you what the readings from the blood test were? If he said a bit high then perhaps there is not too much to worry about. If you had and Hba1C test then perhaps things are not too bad but get the readings to give you an idea. You are entitled to be given the results.

There are many other types of veg that for me are OK Cauliflower, Brocolli, Sprouts, Onions etc (Remember we are all different) but if you self test and keep a food diary you can work out what suits you best.

Fresh nuts such as a handfull of hazelnuts, brazil nuts and walnuts etc are good and they are also quite filling so it stops the hunger.

I also drink Unsweetened Almond Milk - takes getting used to but is OK.

I stress again we are all different and I have a high fat low carb diet and only eat wholemeal bread, with butter and spreads like a chicken and ham spread from a well known producer.

My particular favorite is toasted wholemeal bread with Button Mushrooms cooked in Butter yes Butter (my cholesterol levels are fine). I test before eating and an hour after eating and BS levels are fine.

One other thing I do is not eat after 9pm and when I self test in the morning levels are reasonable.

Hope this helps.

Graham.

• Posted

Thank you Graham. Sorry, I wasn't clear: of course my GP does appointments other than emergency but when you book one it's always a three-and-a-half week wait. And actually when she did my blood test (no she didn't tell me the results) she said there's no point in retesting before a three month wait, she did explain why and I've forgotten but the appointment I've booked will be exactly three months after the first one. So I will just have to be "patient"! I'll keep you posted. Sounds like my diet is absolutely fine anyway so I don't know why I should be diabetic.
    • Posted

Sue, just tell you that being type 2 diabetic is not always caused by being overweight and/or eating an unhealthy diet. I was diagnosed in May 2014, started on 1 metformin per day, january/February 2015 increased to 4 metformin and 4 gliclozide per day, and then February 2016 put on insulin (injected) as well. This despite eating an extremely healthy diet. I am 68 and my doctors in my case have put the diabetes down to being continuously on steroids for the last 10'years due to a very serious eye condition. They did however also say some older people develop diabetes when there are no obvious predisposing factors. Just thought I might try to clear some of your concern.
    • Posted

Thank you Gill. I have no predisposing factors, nothing in the family, no steroids, so if I am diagnosed it will just be bad luck I guess! I suppose my concern was that I won't be able to go down the route of improving my diet other than, I suppose, cutting out the odd biscuit, so it would be medication for me, which I am not keen on. Ah well, wait and see. And one of my questions was: is fruit okay? Bananas particularly, they're very sweet? That would be the most challenging thing for me as I have one every day.
    • Posted

Sue, according to the dietician I saw Monday most fruits are ok but you have to be a bit careful with bananas as they are so sweet, and not take them every day. Like you, I used to have them every day but have now cut them to twice per week. Also like you I did not want to go on medication and indeed for the first year I did not, then just had one tablet for 8 months. But January last year had a sudden deterioration and was increased to 8 tablets per day (2 different types), then had further deterioration in January this year and am now on insulin as well. I have been told by the diabetes consultant that in neither case was it to do with diet, and the second deterioration was probably not to do with the steroids, I am just one of the unlucky ones whose  deterioration has been faster than usual. However, I have to say that now my blood sugars are getting under control with the insulin, I am beginning to feel bettering!
  • Posted

Hi Sue, I also had a similar scare 2 years ago. A regular health check when I was 70 revealed high blood pressure and a year later i asked for and got my medical notes online and saw the HbA1c test that had been taken was in the prediabetic level and nobody had said a thing. I rang the dr and he said to have another test done and once again it was high despite me having adopted a healthier lifestyle due to the blood pressure problem.  He just said to "Watch your diet and he'd have the metformin ready when my numbers when up - and they would" - he was adamant.

i resolved not to obey the NHS eatwell plate which advocated high carb it seemed to me and checked out all the info I could from the internet, especially the Forum of diabetes.co.uk. What I found out was that what I thought of as carbs [bread, sugar,rice and pasta etc] was only half the story and carbs included all sorts of fruit and veg and in particular any low fat produce as they are stuffed with sugar. i also discovered that a high fat diet is good as diabetics can get their energy from fats [I eat butter and olive oil].

A year on and my HbA1c was non diabetic. Had i obeyed the NHS eatwell plate I doubt that would have been the case.

Other than diet I also bought a dog and took up walking her daily.

• Posted

Honestly this site makes me so cross when they block my posts. I understand they don't want lots of links to questionable websites, but I would have thought on the diabetes forum a mention of diabetes uk is hardly out of order.  twisted
  • Posted

Hello

Personally I find it appalling that with the findings and your ongoing weight loss that your physician would send you away for three months!! Wow.

If you cannot get back into the clinic and see either a nurse practitioner or a doctor, then attend the hospital if need be...

There is no concern for panice, but really, I absolutely believe this doctor to be negligent in offering you any help and attention.

There is plenty of information on the internet, but in the interim, contact a dietician as soon as you are able. She will best direct you and you can make changes in your diet immediately.

I would not wait three damn months, and would expect to have a Glucose Tolerance Test performed and some referals to a nutritionist as well as a diabetic clinic.

Lill

• Posted

Goodness me, calm down! All my GP knows is that a routine blood test revealed that my blood sugar levels are slightly high and she thought it possible that I might be diabetic. She doesn't know about my weight loss because three months ago when I saw her I didn't mention it as I'd only lost a few pounds by then. I shall see her at my next appointment and we'll take it from there. I wouldn't dream of changing my diet till I have a diagnosis, it wouldn't be sensible, would it? 
    • Posted

Sorry.

I think I best bow out of this thread.

"calm down" was not necessary.

I was responding to the facts as presented, difficult to take into consideration others that were not provided.

Good day.

Lill

• Posted

Thank you Lill, you have a good day too.
  • Posted

I'm sure if your glucose levels were over the limit your dr would have diagnosed you there and then. Probably [hopefully!] they were slightly high and into the pre-diabetic zone. There you have a window to sort the problem out yourself - diet, exercise etc - and 3 months sounds a fair option - just don't follow the NHS eatwell plate! 

Ask for a printout of all your blood tests. They will presumably have done an HbA1c test and if the numbers are between 42 mmol/l and up to 50 mmol/l then that is considered pre-diabetes. over 50 is full blown diabetes and you will be on their register for ever.frown

No way would you wish to be on the register at your practice and forever be at their command, called in for feet exams, eye tests, blood tests etc. grim.. I felt like that with a  diagnosis of hypertension, how much worse it would have been had it been diabetes and it later transpired that my glucose numbers were higher than they should have been. Thankfully I asked for my med notes online and saw them for myself, the drs had just concentrated on sorting the hypertension and not mentioned the HbA1c until I pointed it out, as technically i was only just over the thresh hold.

Good luck at your next appointment.

• Posted

Thank you so much Jane, that all sounds very sensible and as you say if my glucose levels are only slightly high I have more gentle options to try first. And such a good idea to ask for a print-out, I will certainly do that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.