Post bilateral knee surgery

Posted , 13 users are following.

Please see my recent post. I would love any feedback. Eizie

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I just had bilateral knee replacement 1/23/2017. It's been brutal! Still, have that stiffness like the strongest band in my knees that I wish I could just cut! PT is helping but after a session, I'm totally wiped out. I've been walking on my own for 2 weeks which I should be happy about but I still feel so far from normal. I cry every day feeling as if I'll never be the same again!!??I'm not taking Percocet anymore. I asked for something not as strong because I'm so afraid I'll get addicted!! So I'm on Tramadol but wondering if I'll ever be able to get off it. I'm supposed to go back to work in 2 weeks as a front desk coordinator but I don't know how I can possibly sit in a desk chair for 6 hours or more 4 days a week. I've read other people's posts and I agree I would never have done this if I had any idea how awful it is!! I'm so grateful to have found this site so I can vent with people who have gone through this!! Thank you so much for listening. Eizie

Right????

First, I'm in awe of anyone who does a bilateral.  I thought one knee was brutal but two?  I'm humbled...

Second, you're not even one month post-op.  That's just the beginning of your recovery.  This whole thing takes a year.  Some lucky ones beat it in a few months but going back to work six weeks post-op from a bilateral is INSANE!!!!!  Plus, you should still be on your meds.  Most people aren't off the opioids for 60 days...30 is early.  Some of this may help, even though it's for one knee...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-tkr-experience-or-wish-i-had-another-kidney-stone--524499

Your walking is great but the PT needs to work with you to get you your ROM back...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/zero-degrees--517809

Then you can start rebuilding your leg muscles.  This is a very long process...takes months to go from stage to stage until you're well enough to return to work.  Six months is typical...three months is rare...six weeks is not even in the realm of possibility...especially for two knees.

You need to re-think your situation.  Unless you are one of those rare people who are back to mountain climbing in 3 months, you've got a long way to go...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-tkr-recovery-bell-curve--563756

Hope some of this helps...

• Posted

Some more...

- The stiffness (tight band feeling) is totally normal.  Can last a year or more but gradually gets less and less.

- You will never be the same again...same for ALL of us. We will all give up any competitive or high impact activities.  However, we will be able to walk without pain.  Fair trade.  I had to give up 45 years of hockey.

- Depression and crying?  Read the Post-Op Depression section of my first post.  Totally normal.  Once you know what it is, you face it and it goes away.

- Forget addiction.  You cannot get addicted to opioids in this short a time.  Get the meds you need and titrate down when you don't need them anymore. Like I said...30-60 days is typical.  If you hurt, take the meds.  This is NOT a test of endurance.

- Vent all you want...we're here.

"Never give up.  Never surrender." - Tim Allen, Galaxy Quest

• Posted

Thanks so much again. I love talking with someone who has gone through this. I talk to my physical therapist and she sympathizes but just doesn't get it. For instance she wouldn't understand that "tight band feeling" and you did. She does have my knees at 105 which I understand is pretty good but, my God, when she does it I could scream!

• Posted

I swore that my PT wore a dungeon master's cowl and had an Iron Maiden stashed in the corner!  Oh yes...it hurts...a lot.  But you have to break down that scar tissue and get to 0 / +120...your future depends on it.

Remember...we are strong...we endure...we overcome this.  Just give yourself time to heal.  Work every day to become better and stronger.

• Posted

Eizie, how brave you are, & I really feel for you. I had one Tkr & have just started my 5th week post op.Im still hardly not sleeping at night , the pain goes on & on. I'm on Naproxen,which is like a high anti inflammatory but I also take the gastric resistance called lansoprazole to line the stomach,so I don't feel nauseous, but like you I'm tired & fed up with not being normal & getting on with my life.i tried not to take as many painkillers but was told that I must take them as I wouldn't be able to do the exercises in pain & would be going round in circles & the time WILL come when you won't need them. I do my exercises as told & ice every 2-3 hours day & night. I'm also glad I found this discussion as it's so comforting to know we're not alone & we WILL get over this. Good luck eizie keep your chin up , I pray you will soon get relief . Eileen x

• Posted

Thank you so much Eileen. I just woke up from a little nap because I have to go to the bathroom but putting off getting out of bed knowing the pain I'll experience when my feet hit the floor!! I do appreciate being able to talk and listen to fellow patients like myself!!

• Posted

Hi Eizie,I think you are truly amazing & brave having both knees done together. I cant imagine it. One is unbearably painful but I guess you thought, deal with it & wont have to go for more surgery. In a way I can see your point, I have a friend who was having one done but hospital cancelled it the day before due to lack of beds (U.K.)last week. she has dreadful arthritis in both knees & when she does get the surgery is wondering how on earth her other leg will hold her up.it sort of makes sense. Keep going , please take the painkillers, i keep saying this won't be forever x

• Posted

Thank you so much for listening and commenting! I hope the 2 of us eventually get through this with flying colors!!!
    • Posted

We certainly will ... one day it will be a distant memory when we're rushing about as before. x

• Posted

I'm off to the torture chamber, otherwise known as physical therapy, right now. I'll try to remember "no pain, no gain".

• Posted

Chico ,

Thank you for sharing all your experiences and all your positive outlook. Now i know Im not alone even the back pain and sciatica . Im now on my 10 weeks Post PKR.

Now my question is traveling, I have to attend a convention next month do you know what can i expect to the TSA and how the airline will accommodate me since Im still in pain sitting ang standind up?

Any advise os appreciated.

Tha

• Posted

I'm the TSA's worst nightmare.  Once I set off all the alarm bells at DFW, they put me in the scanner.  Then I hear: "Hey Frank, come over here. Ya just GOTTA see this guy..."  Right hip, left knee, fused back L3 through S1.  Four and a half pounds of metal.  Yes, it's always fun...

I ALWAYS book an aisle seat so I can get up and walk to the back of the plane when I need to.  Lots of chatting with the cabin crews.

The good thing is that it does get better.  I'll hit a year on March 10th.  Still not strong because of the spinal stenosis that came on in October...had to put all the exercise on hold, so I'm behind the curve until after my surgery on March 24th.  I'm hoping for a healthy summer...it will take time.

• Posted

Hi

You maybe lucky, but many are not and horizontal is the best position for 6 weeks.

Good healing

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.