Post Carpel tunnel surgery

Posted , 9 users are following.

I had Carpel tunnel surgery on June 16 2016. Since then I have lost

all feeling in my fingers,plus having bad pain,pins and needles ,swelling .

I went for stitch removal on 6/30/16. I told the surgeon what was going on

and his response was well i didn't cut a nerve. He spent 3 minutes with me and

i got no answer's to my concerns

He sent me for a one time therapy session to be shown exercises.

The therapist did testing and said I had desensitization and no sensation in

my hand. I was shown exercises and given paper's showing how to do the

Exercises. I have done the exercises all day since then.

The swelling has finally gone down some but I still have all of the symptoms as before.

This is way worse than the Carpel tunnel was before surgery . Have others had this problem?

I cannot return to my job with numb painful fingers due to the job I have. Looking for help here.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

HI HOLLY....I HAD CARPOL TUNNEL SURGERY YEARS AGO ON MY RIGHT HAND, BUT NOW...YEARS LATER IM HAVING PROBLEMS WITH BOTH OF MY HANDS.  THEY HURT SOOOOO BAD. I CAN TELL ITS DIFFERENT FROM CARPOL TUNNEL. I HAD THE NERVE AND MUSCLE TEST DONE, AND THE DR. SAID THAT YES, IT SHOWED SOMETHING, BUT NEVER SAID WHAT, AND NOW THEY ARE TRYING TO SAY THAT I HAVE BAD CARPOL TUNNEL IN BOTH HANDS.  MY RIGHT HAND GETS NUMB REALLY BAD AND STINGS AND TINGLE.  BOTH HAND HURT REALLY BAD OVER ALL OF MY FINGERS, AND RIGHT UNDER MY THUMB ACROSS THAT MUSCLE.  I HAVE NEVER EXPERIENCED ANYTHING LIKE THIS ......EVER!!!!   HOPE YOU FIND OUT WHATS GOING ON WITH YOU.   I CAN'T WORK EITHER DUE TO MY HANDS, AND I CAN'T STAND UP AT A JOB DUE TO MY BACK.  I HAD AN MRI YESTERDAY, AND IF THAT THING SAYS THAT THEY DIDN'T FIND ANYTHING OR SAYS ITS NORMAL...IM GONNA THROW ONE HELL OF A FIT.   MY BACK HURTS ME SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BAD.  I CAN'T WALK FROM MY BEDROOM TO THE KITCHEN AND BACK TO THE BEDROOM WITHOUT BENDING OVER TO GET BACK AND CRYING WITH PAIN.   THAT IS NOTHING NORMAL ABOUT THAT..    SORRY THIS WAS SO LONG.  PRAYING FOR YOU.    KIM  confused  I HAVE EVEN FILED FOR MY DISABILITY...GOT DENIED...NOW I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR 10 MONTHS TO GO IN FRONT OF THE JUDGE!!!

• Posted

Do you have nerve conduction studies from before surgery? Go and visit carpal tunnel net and read the section on failed carpal tunnel surgery. That will help you to analyse the change in symptoms from before to after surgery. You can then ask me more about this on the forums there and I will try to advise. It's only 3-4 weeks since surgery so perhaps a little early to get very worried but most cases of CTS would be feeling much better by this time after surgery so your story is not typical. Dr J Bland

• Posted

Hi Jeremy

I have posted on the site you suggested with detail information the best way I could describe.

• Posted

I had my carpul tunnel release 10 weesk ago,started back to full work at about 6 weeks, now the underside of my thumb joint hurts so bad can't even touch it, swelled up, i have it in a splint all day but when  I take it off at night that tendon hurts so bad I can hardly bend my thumb, need some suggestions on what to do  

• Posted

Im over ayear on surgery on right hand n 7months on left. Both hands still swell up n im maybe 60% strength on left n 35% on right. Im a construction worker electrician. Im screwed. Wish I never had it done.drs. Have been paided n now they dont care.errr!!!!!
  • Posted

November 2nd was 1 year since surgery on my right hand. No feeling in 3 1/2  fingers. Went to 12 therapy sessions with no result. Fingers are ice cold as well. Saw Dr. last Friday. Going for another nerve conduction test soon, then we will see. Had my left done months before with no issues.
  • Posted

Hi, I was told to just keep opening/closing the hand. Then I went online and found loads more! It's meant to take a year to full recovery, meant to!! After my op 6 mnths ago, wihtin 2 weeks it felt so much better, but now, like you, it seems way worse than before the op!! After reading so much here and on ther sites, it really does seem the release op we both had is no guarantee Do you have any muscle loss around the thumb area?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.