Post Cholecystectomy

Posted , 28 users are following.

It's been close to 13 weeks since I had my gall bladder removed, and I must admit that the pain I was having at my upper back area has gone, but the issue I also had prior to my operation was differences when visiting the toilet, my faeces are different day to day, but are mostly very thin in shape and light coloured.

Now the thing is I had a colonoscopy/endoscopy last year which ruled out anything serious, however they did find diverticulitis, and wondered if it was this that is causes my issues.

Has anyone that has had there gall bladder removed found anything similar?

0 likes, 63 replies

63 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sorry for the typo there, it should have read as follows:

Has anyone that has had their gall bladder removed found anything similar?

• Posted

i had mine removed a couple of years ago and i have the same problom also i still get the same kind of pains as if it is still there but my doctor says i cant be as gall bladder has been removed but i can assure you i do get them do you ?
    • Posted

It depends on whether you had your surgery laparoscopic or not. Yes, you will get occasional pains indefinitely. I had mine out 23 years ago and every now and then I get pain the same as before removal. I’ll take that every other year over every other week. 
  • Posted

Hello.

I dont get any gall bladder related pain now.

• Posted

Hello

marglsc I can totally relate to what you are saying. I had my Gallbladder removed 3 yrs ago and still get pain as though it's still there...I'm so glad I'm not on my own.

• Posted

I was about to post again anyway and your latest post just reminded me.

Regarding post op, I am experiencing some occasions when I visit the toilet that the first couple of visits can be normal faeces, but after that can just be diarrhoea and or that very light yellow coloured what looks like bile. Noticed this no matter what I eat.

I am aware that due to not having the gall bladder any longer the bile drips constantly from the liver, and I wonder if this is why I get these symptoms

Also the faeces can be brown but with darker brown pieces about it, wonder if anyone post op has seen noticed similar?

• Posted

I want to add that I am having some little sharp feeling of pain spasms in or around inside the area where the gall bladder main cut was made, right of centre of abdomen, the incision I am on about is only one inch long, where the camera went in I believe.

This op was performed in February this year, and I am wondering if I should be having these pains at this time?

I am scared that it's something to do with the titanium clips that were placed inside.

When I went to bed and laid on my right side I could feel it again, when I lay on my back they kind of stopped.

Anyone else experience this?

• Posted

Hello Fred Flintstone, I am experiencing exactly the same symptoms as you. As well, I get sharp pains in the descending colon before a bowel movement.

I had my gallbladder removed 8 weeks ago and I had a colonoscopy today. They found diverticula. Keep in mind that is different from diverticulitis. Diverticulitis is an infection or inflammation of the diverticula. This link helped:

digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/diverticulosis/

I asked my surgeon about the sharp pains and he said it was normal, but I also think he was in a hurry to get to lunch. I haven't had much luck with getting answers from my local doctors so now I rely on papers, articles and studies posted by doctors on the internet.

If I find something that sounds plausible, I either ask a doctor about that specific problem or I request what ever test is needed. I self-diagnosed my gallbladder stone impaction issue by requesting an ultrasound appointment.

I may not be much help but I'll share anything I discover, as we seem to be experiencing the same thing.

• Posted

Hello JohnnyFactor,

Thanks for getting in touch.

I take it when you mention the descending colon you refer to your left hand side?

I asked my surgeon the very same thing about those pains that I reported here on 1st October, and he got back to me via email saying that what I was describing was unusual symptoms, so it looks like some surgeons differ slightly with their opinions, of course you could be right about yours in a rush for his lunch and maybe gave a positive answer to save time. I have to say though that these pains have gone thankfully, only lasted something like 4 days I think. not all day though.

My Colonoscopy diagnosis was Diverticulosis, Diverticula: a few scattered at the top area of the ascending colon, straight up from where the appendix is.

Please keep in touch, as you say it looks like we are both going through similar issues.

All the best.

Fred. :-)

• Posted

Yes, the descending colon is on the left side. For me, it hurts most all the time where the diverticula were found. It feels like when you eat too many hot peppers. My former gallbladder area hurts every day with sharps pains, but they're getting duller as time goes by. The surgeon actually said it's healing pains and should subside soon.

Regarding stools, I believe a regular BM followed by bile is normal. Like you said, it's a constant drip. If we could eat at the same rate the bile drips, it would probably be consistent. This is something we just have to live with. Eating smaller and more frequent meals will help.

The thin stool I had developed before the gall bladder issues but I've always had IBS-like issues. I'm hoping I've finally stumbled upon the answer though. It's called rectal intussusception or rectal prolapse. Basically, it's the last length of intestine collapsing on itself and causing obstruction of stool passage. It's not a popular diagnosis, but some people think it may be responsible for a range of IBS issues from rectum to stomach. I'm still researching this, but I feel confident about it so far since I have a history of the symptoms.

• Posted

Hi,

I had my gallbladder removed 2 and a half years ago and have had nothing but trouble since it's removal. From the age of 14 I suffered from colic type pain and my Dr's were unconcerned, then when I was 20 I was rushed into hospital with severe vomitting and that's where after an ultrasound they found my gallbladder to be inflamed and danger hence the need for removal. The surgery went well and apart from a post op infection I was well. However I quickly noticed that my bowel movements were drastically changed and I now suffer from frequent diarrhoea. Like yourself it is yellow and very watery and is always accomopanied with severe lower abdominal pain. More worryingly a year after my surgery I started to experience my old colic type pain, however much more severe. I have had MRI's, ultrasound, many blood tests which have all shown nothing. However the pain persists and I often end up in a&e due to it. Last December I had an endoscopy which showed erosive gastritis in my stomach, however once again my Dr was unconcerned and nothing else has been done.

I have been doing my own research and have come across postcholesytectomy syndrome or PCS and it explains all my symptoms. It can also explain your diarrhoea as often with gallbladder removal you can end up with bile secretion problems which cause diarrhoea, there is a medical term for this but can't remember.

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

I realize this post was from 4 years ago, but I too have had similar problems since having my gallbladder removed.  For the first 8 weeks or so, I was doing well, aside from going to the restroom more frequently, but recently I've had a problem with yellow diarrhea as well.  After I eat it doesn't take long for my to have to run to a bathroom.  I have some health anxiety so I can't tell whether or not some of my pains are real or a product of stress.  Have you had any resolution since then?

• Posted

Hi Sarah, so sorry you’re goi v through these awful symptoms. It seems to me that you have BAM (Bile Acid Malabsorption Syndrome) which is what I’ve been diagnosed with two years after I had  my cholecystectomy. Since then I had constant diahorrea & on Loperamide(Imodium) every day otherwise I could not go out. I also ended up with IBS again. 

I’m due to have two knee replacements but have to lose weight because of my age (77) & the affects of the anaesthetic & aftercare soni joined Slimming World & a gym 23 weeks ago & have lost 35lbs but the amazing thing is that because of my healthy , almost fat free diet, I am now almost free of that awful yellow watery diahorrea & have not had to take Questrain or Loperamide in the 23 weeks. 

Please try & change your eating habits & hope you have the same result as me x

• Posted

I have had alot of ur issues since my gall bladder removal 4 years ago and I wud highly recommend getting a prescription for questran powders they bind the dripping bile and stop it from causing upset to ur intestines. Therefore eliminating the horrible pain and awful diarrhea I have tried many things over the years and this is the only thing to have helped so far!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.