Post DVT muscle and nerve weakness

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello,

?My father, 51yr,  has recently got treatment for DVT and he is now on anti cougulants, However he has now no movement and muscle power below his right knee. His nerves have become very weak and he has to wear a foot splin to aid in walking. Any one suffering from such symptons after two years suffering from chronic dvt?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Shaun

Does your Dad take other medications?  Also, it's dependant on which anticoagulants you take. I had severe reactions to warfarin so I stayed on fragmin for 6 months. One of the reactions was my legs went dead below the knee frequently and I was exceedingly giddy, which were unacceptable side effects to me.  

Check other medications & seek advice from the Consultant who has put your Dad on anticolags. The anticolags do not get rid of the blood clots.  They stop it developing more.  Your own body has to get rid of them but sometimes they leave scar tissue or veins grow around the site.  If you type in the search on this site: dvt causes & symptoms--You'll  find more information there.  Sorry could not have been more help, but we as patients need to be careful regarding advising others what to do.  We are all unique & what works for one doesn't necessarily work generically.   I found my exercise bike a great relief.  Hope you find the answers you need to help your Dad cope with dvt.

Regards

Christine

• Posted

Hi Christine,

​Thanks for your reply. My father is taking Pradaxa​ and some folic acid tabs. His condition has improved a little as he is now able to atleast walk with a splint where previously it was little to no sensation or muscle power below on the ankle on right leg.

​May be this is a drug reaction to anticouglants. We will ask the haematologist again.

​There is no scar tissues as such nor any vein growth, the clots are there but very minimal.

​Biking is great! Hope to you get more healthy day by day.

Thanks,

​Shaun

• Posted

Hi shaun, Where does your father go to see a Consultant? Has he had any physio? 
    • Posted

Hi Sheila,

​yes there was physiotherapy for more than a year, but now the doctor said just to exercise at home and keep taking the anticoagulants. He advised that the leg condition can not be healed further but he will beed to take the meds for long.

• Posted

Any insights people? Can the clots just removed throught surgery?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.