Post Hiatal Hernia problems

Posted , 5 users are following.

I would love to hear if any one has had the issues that i am having since the surgery.  According to tests that I have had since the surgery my stomach does not empty properly and my esophagus is partially paralized. I can eat for 2 or 3 days and the food goes down okay. Then the food just starts stacking up and does not pass and I feel like I am choking and for about 3 days I callnot eat anything because it wont go down and I have this horrible phlem that I have to carry somthing to spit it in. I miss a lot of sleep because of the phlem. Then the direaha starts and after the stomach is emptied I can eat once again. 

So it is 2 to 3  days of eating and 2& 3 days of choking and no food  and spitting phlem and  2 or 3 days of diarrehea.  I just keep losing weight and gettting weaker  Does anyone have anything like this.?

My life is miserable. I cant plan trips or plan to go out to eat because I never know what phase I will be in.  I don't know if there  was damage done to my stomach when it was moved from the shoulder   down to where it was suppose to be and the wrap on the esphogus had impaired the function of it.The Dr said he had a terribe time getting the stomach unstuck to move. Help

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I can relate to some of what you are going through.   I had my surgery on December 22nd and I still not fully healed yet.   The biggest problem is that my stomach as shrunk (at least I think it has).   My appetite is not strong, so most of the time I force myself to eat.   Sometimes the food that I eat stays down and other times I end up vomiting.   (last evening, a prime example).    I also have another problem that I'm dealing with-- a prolapsed bladder.   Tomorrow morning I go to see the surgeon you did my hiatal hernia surgery and I plan to tell him that I can hardly tolerate this lack of eating.   Hope that he has some type of solution for me.   Then, in the afternoon I go to see another doctor about my prolapsed bladder.   Had seen him about 2 years ago for this problem.   Right now I am sure that I will be back in the hospital before too long.   Best wishes to you, Karen!!
  • Posted

I had an incarcerated hiatus hernia op in November after about 3 weeks I started vomiting and since have hardly had a day without vomiting or diarrhoea or both at the same time. As you can

imagine I have hardly been out in three months. The surgeon did mention damage or a broken vagus nerve so researching on

Google I am worried I have gastroperesis, stomach not

processing food. I had an endoscopy and today a barium test, I

am not due back at the surgeon till March, but I have really had

enough! I have gone from not been able to eat, to able to eat but can't keep in down or in. As it randomly happens I am trapped. I was not informed before the op of a danger of nerve damage.

We sound similar in our problems though I think my food gets

stuck in my stomach too long. I hope knowing someone else

has similar problems will make you feel less alone. I was

pleased to see your post as I thought I was alone.

• Posted

It is great to read these postings and to know that other people are dealing with these unpleasant health problems.   It encourages me to read that there are people besides myself who are frustrated with what is happening to their bodies.   I knew before I had my surgery that I would face some difficult days afterwards-- but I guess that I wasn't as prepared for them as I should have been.    I get so depressed with my lack of eating!!   Oh- for the days when I was able to eat without the hassles!!!!!
  • Posted

Was producing a fair amount of acid and it felt like I had something stuck in my throat, so I had a camera down my throat, had a HH. Give me antiacids and told me to go, this generally helped for a fairly long time.

But in the past year or so, while the acid symptoms have gotten better and I know what triggers the acid, it usually isn't too bad and I can generally eat within reason or drink alcohol even if both make me feel a little bloated.

My problem is the constant pain that has nothing to do with the acid, if I eat too much or if after eating I lie down or shift at the wrong time then I'm in for a few hours of crippling pain, sometimes to the point where I can barely speak. It feels like someone has taken a sword and put it through my sternum, pain in the back, pain in the chest. I do get minor relief from vomiting, but the pain just becomes a bit more dull. If I vomit, then I'm usually done for a few days as my stomach and any hiccups end up giving me a great deal of pain.

It's getting progressively worse, it used to happen every month - which I could deal with - then every two weeks - which I could deal with. Now it's happening frequently weekly, sometimes two or three times in a row at night. There appears to be no trigger other than the amount of food I eat, but even small amounts can trigger it. 

I've read about the stomach pushing on the vagus nerve, my personality can completely change during periods of pain. I also have developed anxiety issues from wondering when the next attack is going to come and I feel depressed, down about my condition affecting my future prospects.

I'm currently living in Australia, looking to travel around in a few months and I wanted to work for the last few months. Things finally went well on the job front, but now I'm just thinking about going back to the UK because of this.

Does anyone have any advice?

• Posted

I do feel so sorry for you!   In ways, I am in the same position as you are.   I cannot "plan" any activity during the day, as I don't know how I will feel from time to time.   I went to my surgeon yesterday and told him about my weak appetite and he assured me that it will get better over time.   He said that you could prescribe some nitrogliceran tablets for me to take-  could put one underneath my tongue and it might help with my appetite problem.   But the nitro has some bad side effects--- people get bad headaches and other stuff when they take them.   Said that he would much prefer if I could just "wait out" this stomach problem until it improves.    Also- got a bit more dismal news yesterday when I went to see a GYN doctor about my prolapses bladder.   He told me that I will need a hysterectomy sometime in the future.   Oh my!   More surgery!    Am so depressed now--- can't concentrate for very long.    Don't know what lies ahead.   Am scared, that's for sure!
  • Posted

I am thinking I may have this surgery. Your thread is quite scary. Can they re do the operation for you?
    • Posted

So far I am not sorry that I had the operation- although I do get fed up with the fact that my stomach is still giving me problems.   But my surgeon said that it will get better over time- so will wait and see.   Right now I am focused on getting stronger so that I can have my hysterectomy done.   Will probably feel "yucky" after that procedure is done- but am willing to wait it out.   At least since it is winter I don't mind staying inside for recouperation.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.