Post hysterectomy bowel movement

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi,

i had a full hysterectomy last Wednesday (12/12/16). I had no trouble urinating but it took me almost a full week to have a bowel movement. Not long after my bowel movement I noticed my anus felt very tender and in my butt crack I'm red and irritated. I figured the tenderness was from not having a bm in almost a week but this irritation is driving me crazy. Has anyone else demonstrated these symptoms post hysterectomy and if so what did you do to alleviate them? 

Thank you in advance for the advice!! 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Diana, bowels can be 'tricky' after hysterectomy, I am surprised the hospital let you go home before you'd had a bm though, the best course of action and what worked for me was a spoonful of lactulose and 1 senna tablet each night before bed, the lactulose softens things up and the senna speeds things up though not vioently so, I didn't experience you other problem but good old Vaseline may help in that area.

Phoebe

PS other ladies may have other suggestions as well.

• Posted

That should read 'violently'

• Posted

Hi Phoebe, thank you for responding. I was surprised they sent me home before having a bm as well. The surgeon said so long as I can pass gas I can go home. I have to call the doctor tomorrow. This irritation has gotten worse and the last thing I need is some kind of infection. I will let you know what he says 😄

Diana

• Posted

Hi Diana, you may have an anal fissure from straining and pressure. Sudocrem ointment may help with the irritation. But have it checked if it continues, it could get infected. Hope you find relief soon x
    • Posted

Hi Maisie, thank you for the advice. I'm going to call the surgeon tomorrow morning. My poor niece had to do a visual inspection for me and she said it looks pretty bad. The last thing I need is an extended hospital stay 😔

• Posted

That already sounds like an infection to me. I sure wouldn't use vasoline if it is or not until it's established what it is. Vasoline just blocks up the pores and if it's an infection then I imagine it will make it worse.

• Posted

Hi Robyn

i called my surgeon today. He prescribed a cream for me to apply twice daily. He thinks it was due to some of the leakage from the surgery. I have an appointment to see him Wednesday. Hopefully this will be gone before then. Thank you for responding to my question 

Diana xoxox

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.