Post Nasal Drip and Persistent Cough

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been suffering from this for 8 months now.  I am getting to the end of my tether,  no one seems to help.  All the doctor has given me is these stupid nasal sprays which are as good as useless.   I have high blood pressure which is kept lower through tablets so I have to be careful what I take but surely there is a tablet you can take to dry this up.

Has anybody any answers.

2 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have had this for a long time. Recently started using a nasal wash using a Neilmed sinus rinse bottle and sachets supplied with it (from Boots). Doesn't sound very nice but is actually quite easy (removing tube from inside bottle makes it easier). Just lean over sink, put head on one side, apply opening in end of applicator to upper nostril and squeeze, keeping mouth open. Rinse runs out of lower nostril. Repeat in other nostril. Surprisingly comforting if you use boiled water at body temperature. Have been using a few weeks now and am MUCH better. Will keep it up once a day.
    • Posted

I will certain pop to Boots next week and purchase the Neilmed sinus rinse.    Does it ease the cough at all?

I spoke to another doctor on the panel at the surgery , mine was on holiday thank goodness, and she had prescribed some anti-histamine tablets to start with and then if they are no good (which they appear to be just that – no use or ornament ) then she will prescribe some other tablets.    I am getting desperate now as hubby cannot sleep with me keep coughing half the night,  I don’t sleep.     I perpetually get this feeling in my throat as if I am being strangled, I know it is only the mucus which sounds awful but I have to say it that way.     

So a trip to Boots it is.

• Posted

I also have a cough and a lot of throat clearing. My doctor says it is gastric reflux irratating the larynx (even though I don't get heartburn or indigestion). I'm on Lansoprazole and Gaviscon (don't take together) and have improved although not completely better. It can take several months of treatment apparently. You can also try raising your bed a bit at the head end. Hope this helps.
    • Posted

I do tend to sleep bolt upright until I slip down the bed in my sleep.    I still have one or two coughing sessions even so.

Thank you for your comments.

• Posted

You sound exactly the same as me, and i mean exactly! I am sick of going backwards and forwards to the Dr's and nothing works. I read somewhere to try elderflower, and it does help a little but am definitely going to try a nasal rinse. Did it help?? Merry Xmas!
    • Posted

You have my sympathy.     I must say that since the doctor gave me Fexofenadine 180 mg it has eased the situation, not perfect though.  I still get the occasional cough, stuffed up feeling and claggy throat.    The doctor reassured me that there are other tablets if these do not work.  I am seeing the Ear Nose and Throat Clinic on the 4th January so I will let you know how I get on.

• Posted

Wow, have gone 2 days nearly without coughing, and am pretty certain it's because I tried using a sinus/nasal rinse! If only I had done this month's ago? Thank you so much for the tip. I have been banging my head against a brick wall for so long at the Dr's. ..

Happy Christmas!

• Posted

Glad it's helped. Hope it continues to work. Happy Christmas too!
  • Posted

HAPPY CHRISTMAS AND AN EVEN BETTER NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL.
  • Posted

Hi and Happy New Year to you All

I duly went to the ENT department and saw a very lovely Consultant.   He tried to look down my throat but realising that I am absolutely useless and gagg all of the time when this happens he then put a camera up my nose and had a good look round.  He told me that he could see nothing wrong,  voice box was perfect , back of throat perfect, could see slight acid damage from reflux though but nothing serious.    I came away with the NeilMed Sinus Rince information and have ordered a kit from the pharmacy and will pick this up today.    Bless him he said just to get the bottle and make your own nasal douching recipe yourself.   This is 1/2 tsp of sea salt (not table salt) 1/2 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda and 240 mls of sterilized water.     

I am in the UK and I gather these Kits are about £12 - £13 , so not cheap.  If you had a rinse bottle you could make your own up.     

He also recommended that I take a good tablespoon of Gavison an hour before going to sleep at night.

I will let you if there is any news of any improvement.

• Posted

I must add that the rinse was only £7.99 from the pharmacy and it is much dearer on Amazon.

Tried it ,  feel half drowned I could nto tell you if it was coming out of the other nostel or not I jiust seemed to be getting the rinse everywhere.    I took out the tube as suggested and this did make it easier I must say.   Not particularly looking forward to doing it tomorrow.    I can taste salt,  may be my technique is wrong.   

• Posted

I think it may be your technique..I think it is amazing and I really think my cough is much much better. Dint use too much pressure and breathe normally. Good luck!

• Posted

Beverley I am willing to hear how you rinse.       Yesterday (probably entirely wrong )  I boiled the water, cooled it,  popped in the powder from the sachet into the bottle, added the cooled but still warm water, shook it, and then remembered it had a hole in the top so shook it again with my thumb over the hole.     I put my head over the kitchen sink tilted forward and slightly to one side.   Put the bottle top into my nostril and pressed, this was fine for a moment but could not tell whether it came out of the other nostril or not to be honest, then I decided to take out the tube as when I was tilting the bottle up of course the rinse got lower than the tube.    This worked better , but am I just doing it wong, may be put the tube back in today and not lean over so much just press the bottle to shoot the rinse upwards.   I will try this.

Can you let me know how you do it as you seem to be having success and that is all I want.

Thank you.

• Posted

Morning! You seem to be doing the same as me? Just use gentle pressure. I must admit for the first couple of days I didn't seem to be getting anywhere but it sounds as though like mine, your sinuses are blocked completely. Once the rinse starts to work and they pop? The rinse will go through and out of the other nostril. Tbh I find it quite soothing now. Persevere. .maybe your gp has a practice nurse who may help your technique . Let me know how you get on . B

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.