post op discomfort

Posted , 3 users are following.

i had a total hysterectomy on 7th april & horrendous complications...it was via an abdominal cut ....i had ginormous fibroid that was on my bowel & the op caused a paralytic ileos (bowel stopped working) amongst other problems so ended up 2 weeks in hospital...home now on day 9 & still in a lot of pain on my left side ...any advice gratefully received x

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Take it easy and rest don't do any lifting take 10 min walks and gradually take more when week by week just don't overdo it
  • Posted

god poor you Andrea.If you have ever watched the op done,i have on you tube,then you will see how the surgeon handles your bowel,so no wonder you ended up with a paralytic ileus.....it all takes time to calm down after surgery.what pain relief did they send you home with?.I only got paracetemol and i had my op done abdominally.my advice,dont do too much,we were given instructions on the things we could do and couldnt do.know your limits,if you do too much,your body will tell you.good luck in your recovery xx
    • Posted

thankyou ....i have 8 800mg co-codamol per day ....4 ibruprofen & lactulose 3 x a day to help bowel as still very sluggish ...i will certainly take your advice & slow down a bit more xx
  • Posted

Hi andrea

might want to ask docs for movicol or similar (to help you go), as co-codamol can make you badly constipated...personal experience...

best wishes on your recovery

k

• Posted

thankyou ....strarted senna & lactulose on fri after visit from doc so hopefully it will help ....im just a bit worried that after 4 weeks i am still in pain & discomfort :-( ...i hope to see consultant for a follow up soon x
  • Posted

Hi andrea, some ladies seem to bounce back quicker than others, it really does depend on your own type of surgery and body's response, it can take up to 12 weeks + for some normality and ability to return to work for a lots of ladies, so give yourself time...gentle exercise, no lifting, rest as much as possible.  

I'm nearly 6 months post op (under 2 week rule for suspected cancer, so very quick ops- hysteroscopy, laparoscopy and finally the LAVH BSO (basically the works...in the end 'benign' growths, adenomyosis, major adhesiolosis...etc but cancer risk high in family so glad to have it all out).  

Unfortunately having problems left hand side, which is being investigated (possible adhesions to bowel again causing obstruction, facing poss more surgery)..had 'urgent' scan last week and waiting results.. Am so much better than I was pre surgery tho, despite this 'hiccup'..will be nice to feel 'better' tho.  Started elleste solo-hrt after 6 weeks, symptoms got pretty horrendous. It's helping, but wil be a short term solution for me. Bw's X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.