Post op issues that I was told would go after removal of gallbladder

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi all. I had my gallbladder removed 2 weeks ago today due to it being full to the brim with stones. I suffered for 2 years with multiple gallbladder attacks after eating the slightest amount of fat. I also was getting bad heartburn, indigestion and reflux which my surgeon and my mother who also had the op years ago said would completely go. Recovery wise I'm feeling great. It's nice knowing that I am able to eat and enjoy food again without getting an attack. But I am still getting the heartburn, indigestion and reflux? I'm not sure if it's acid or bile causing it. I have omeprazol left from before my surgery that was supposedly controlling it so I'm going to try taking that to see if it relieves it at all. I'm hoping it's just waiting for things to settle and not that it's something else causing it. I have a follow up appiontment with my surgeon in a few weeks so I'll mention it to him. I'll admit I've not been great in terms of diet post surgery either. Been enjoying all the things I had to deny myself over the past two years. I asked the surgeon before my surgery if I was okay to eat what I liked afterwards and he said to let things settle for a few days first (which I did) but yes I should have no issues with diet post surgery. Anyone with any advise as to how to tell what's causing it. I'm assuming that because I had it before my op and after that it's acid and not bile as your gallbladder is responsible for the bile right? 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Samantha am delighted to hear your doing so well post op. Indigestion is common after gallbladder removal as is reflux too. In some people it settles down and in others it doesn't. It's way too early to tell. Your body is going through an adjustment period now. For some this can take 6 weeks and for others a lot longer. Also despite your doctor telling you to eat what you want I would watch the fats for a while. A lot of people are told to stick to a low fat diet for 6-12 weeks. Good luck xx
  • Posted

I had my gallbladder removed 8 weeks ago.

There is still food I am avoiding. I have tried hard cheese again but it gave me stomach ache. May try it again later on. I think it is a question of trail and error people are so different.

This is very early days samantha. Give your body time to adjust.

Did you have keyhole surgery or the bigger operation?

Take care and keep in touch

Praying for you

Sarah xx

• Posted

I had my gallbladder removed  over 8 months ago and I'm still suffering with horrible reflux which I am almost sure is bile. This is causing my esophagus to spasm and it has been the most painful time in my life.

doctors kept telling me I was going to get better, but 8 months later I feel more pain and they don't know what to do about. I take sucralfate, no difference it coats the stomach that's all.

if it's bile, no anti acids will help believe me I've tried them all! I got the worse heartburn ever. I'm very concerned about the damage this frequent stomach/ chest burning I'd doing to my esophagus. I now have a lot of chest and back pain that keeps me from living a normal life. 

You'll NEVER be able to eat whatever you want, don't believe any surgeon and also if you get bile reflux there's nothing they can do besides a drastic surgery to bypass the bile from stomach. I cannot believe that this is happening to me and so sorry if it's happening to you too. Many people are ok after GB suregry, but that doesn't mean they are safe from getting it years later. It's a nightmare. Good luck 

• Posted

I still have my gallbladder and get attacks every 3-5 months but there's on common theme to them: wheat. If I eat wheat, I have an attack. I just went about 4 months without an attack, decided to have a muffin (false sense of things being ok) and was sick within the hour. I'm not a doctor but my girlfriend did a tremendous amount of research and when I went to the hospital 3 years ago, the doctor said you won't make it through the week if you don't gett you gallbladder removed, it's so gull of stones. Then I cut out wheat and I do well. The attacks are almost always because I slip up and eat wheat. Chees, milk, yogurt rice bread, etc all fine. Hope this helps.
  • Posted

Hi Are you still getting the symptoms of reflux? Any suggestions from your surgeon to what might be still causing  the heartburn,reflux?

i've never had before this surgery any symptoms only gallbladder attack, no reflux whatsoever. So first thing my surgeon told me was that my valve stopped working and we should do some tests. So I did and All was normal even the reflux was not acid. The antacids didn't relieved my heartburn ever. Then I got spasms from all the heartburn. Horrific pain he told it would go in time, that it was my vagus nerve disturbed and would calm down. Now I have more reflux with so much pain in my chest I can't take care of my baby properly sometimes. This surgery saved my life, I had to do it in an emergency due to pancreatitis. My baby was 2 months old. Ifyou find out about anything of what could be causing all this pain please share 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.