Post op leg pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi there. I had my L5/S1 Discectomy on Mon this week..20th Feb..so I'm 5 days post op. On the Mon evening and Tue morning all my leg pain had gone..which was amazing after having it for 6 months pre op in my left leg. On the Tue evening I felt like a stretching pain in the back of my thigh when I straightened my left leg. I came home on Wednesday evening. Since then it's got worse. Its like a constant painful ache all over the back of my thigh. Today, my calf has felt tight aswell. When I get out of bed, it's excruciating..worse than the surgical pain. I know it's early days and I have a long road ahead.. but is this normal..? The Dr in hospital said it's probably aggravated nerve pain..! Will it ease off..? It's very frustrating when I'm trying to recover. Thankyou x Sarah

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Yes it is normal by I had my operation last July and I still get the same pain pins and neddles all down my right legs Sharp pins now and again aching at the bottom of my back all the time never endding but I really hope your son last that long had the same problems has yourself but my bladder and Bowles broke down as well and I am still the same good luck to you tho hun easy case is different take care and get loads of rest xx
    • Posted

Thankyou Sarah Jane.! I'm sorry you are still getting problems.! This ache pain is unbearable at times..worse than the surgical pain.! I had problems with my bladder after the op..but it righted itself about 48hrs after. They said it was probably 'a lazy bladder' after the anesthetic.! I am aware of what can happen tho.! X

• Posted

I didn't get this after surgery, but yes yr nerves will be aggravated and also ull developed scare tissue if it continues and yr leg swells at all go straight to AE rule it infection or DVT just rest for me I took a aspirin for a few days as helps thin the blood

• Posted

Thankyou for your reply hun. I'm keeping an eye on my leg for swelling/redness.! It's so painful..worse than my surgical pain at times.!

• Posted

Hi I had discectomy 3 weeks ago first few days pain gone but as I stared to move more legs cramped up and were so tight! This is starting to fade however my left leg is still stiff and can't completely stretch from what I've read this appears to be commen and will hopefully resolve in time !

• Posted

Hi. Sounds exactly like mine hun..really tight thigh and calf. I'm trying to do my physio exercises..but I can't straighten my left leg to do them.! I guess it's early days for both of us.! Hope you are recovering well..except for the leg issue!! Thankyou for replying x

Sarah

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.