Post-op Rotator Cuff tear 5 month up-date

Posted , 2 users are following.

I finally am seeing improvement after 3 days a week painful physical therapy! I still have impingement but I am about 80%. I have very little pain now and can accomplish most tasks except for reaching into higher shelves in the kitchen cabinets.

I have two more weeks left of P.T. before I am discharged. I am nervous that since I am not 100%,

I will lose the range of motion that I have gained going to P.T. It always helps when you have someone "forcing" you to do the exercises!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi. If you keep using it you won't have any problems. I was told to clean windows, dusting etc. anything which uses your arm in the normal way so you don't stiffen up again. I had rotator cuff tear and surgery to repair it and was fine doing housework like this as advised by the physiotherapist. Ask your physio for advice before you stop seeing him/her.
    • Posted

Thanks for the advise. Did you have full range of motion when you were discharged from physio?
  • Posted

I have a good range but took things easy for awhile and paced myself so as not to overdo it and cause pain. Tendons do take a bit of time to heal so no lifting or other heavy stuff like that. Gently does it, you don't want it to happen again. Mine was caused by a fall, I landed on the shoulder and had to go to a doctor eventually as it wasn't getting better. The op was successful but I was told to take it easy and not push things. It's about four years ago now and still ok if a bit achy at times. Best Wishes. Pollyanna UK

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.