Post-operative pain Discemtomy

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello all.

First day home after a Bilareral L5/S1 Decompression and Discemtomy.

And wow the pain this morning was something like I had never felt.

Someone please tell me this will go in a few days...  lol

I suppose just looking for a bit of re-assurance that it’s normal

I have been given:

Paracetamol

Ibuprofen

Codeine Phosphate

Tramadol

And of cause lactulose to stop me exploding cheesygrin

Trying to take a mix every two hours to keep the pain at bay.

Anyone have any experience and found any other relief.

Thanks,

Mike

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

This is what they found
    • Posted

omg. I'm due for the same on the 10 Feb.  I'm not squeamish in the slightest, but this is making feel nauseous. surprised  How are you feeling now ? has the pain subsided ?
    • Posted

Hello,

The pain is still there, but no where near as bad as it was on the first and secound morning, thankfully.

The mornings are the worst, as you have been pretty much still for a good few hours.

They tell you not to sit/stay in the same postition for more than 30 mins, I don't as you feel the pain building.

I know it sounds bad but once you start taking the tablets in the mornings, it all dies of..

There were a couple of other people on the ward haning similar opps, but I was the only one put on a Morphine driver, which had it's pros and cons... No pain but blood pressure and temp taken every 15 min for the first 2 hours, then at night every hour!! so no sleep.

Please don't worry I would go through it all again just to stop the pain I had in my legs everyday before.

You'll be fine

smile

• Posted

Sorry to hear you are in so much pain - from what my patients tell me it will pass eventually but just keep popping pills and change position regularly.

The meds look pretty standard - the codeine tends to constipated people hence your lactulose but the ibuprofen may also irritate your tummy so if it does ask for some omeprazole.

Hope you are feeling better soon

• Posted

Thanks for your kind words.

Just good to reach out every now and then.

Feeling quite a lot better atm, just dreading the moring

• Posted

Sorry not had experience only of decompression/microdiscectomy(looks funny so may have spelt it wrong!!)

Can you not to to A & E.  Are you in the UK or another country?

There is a good answer from Annie77 so hopefully by now (lost my password) you will be feeling better.

But really sorry you feel so bad,Annie is right she has the experience so try not to get constipated (sweetcorn does the trick for me)   How much are you taking of Tramadol.  I couldn't take pure Tramadol - I take 38% Tramadol and the rest is made up of Paracetamol (Pazital but there is an equivalent for England and other countries) and doesn't  affect my stomach.  I think whatever you take there are side affects.  I couldn't take pure Tramadol - I was away with the fairies and I don't like not being in control.

Keep us posted, hopefully you will be telling us in a week you will be feeling better.

Sorry that I have not posted before now I have been in England for Christmas.

Who was your surgeon?  and the country?

Patient doesn't seem to make a list of surgeons who do excellent jobs in which part of England but there again, Patient might not be English...... like to know. 

• Posted

Hi, hold in there its early days, I had spinal fusion and disectomy 5 weeks ago and I feel great now,,I too had alot of pain after butit gradually got better, I was impatient and stop taking the pain meds to only realize I hurt really bad,,it takes time to heal all the damaged nerves but releasing the pressure makes a hugh difference ,,take csre and listen to your body don't be afraid to ask for strong pain relief if you need it.

• Posted

Hello,

Thanks for the reply,

The pain is a lot better now, what I am more concerned about is the pain in my legs seems to be coming back cry

Hopefully it is part of the healing process.

• Posted

So glad to hear that you are improving,yes I too had pain in my left leg, mostly first thing in the morning it seems to get better when I walk and stretch out the nerves, it almost feels like pulled muscle, I hope you get some pain free days soon, take care and stay strong.
  • Posted

Hello,

Well 5 weeks have past, and last night was the worst night of pain I have had since I left hospital  cry

The pain in my left leg seems just to be getting worse.

Went to Physio this morning, after it being delayed for 2 weeks because of pain, and have now attending Hydrotherapy (starts Monday).

They said the pain could still be the muscles around the nerve. I hope so.

• Posted

I went for my pre op assessment last week, I had around 15 minutes with my consultant. He said that it could be anything up to 9 weeks before I felt any real improvement. He didn't give me much detail, but suggested it is due to the extent of the procedure- which I guess is what you are saying here.  I have a far lateral distribution, meaning the herniation is round the side and they going to have to cut around bone to get to the disk.

Needless to say I'm gutted that my surgery has been cancelled due to the doctors strike, but I've been rescheduled for the 22 Feb.  Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Hang on in there Jezz let us know how you get on, is this your first operation?  Where do you live/surgeon.  I might need one when I get to the UK
    • Posted

One week to go Jezza....

Hope all goes well.

I have read loads about how long it takes to get better. I have just got that gut feeling it's slipped again, I hope I'm wrong...

You are having the same arn't you?

Decompresion and Discectomy, if so you may well be put on a Morphine driver for the first 24 hours after. that makes you feel great smile

Just be prepaired for the first morning of being home !!!  lol..

Sorry but wish I had known, you maybe allright.

Good luck

• Posted

Mike did u have this privately. I have the s1 prolapse with also 2 above does the nurse not come to see you. Haven't a clue about medsx sorry but mixed mine last night with a sudafed and was I I'll!!

OK now but you have to be careful. I would ring hospital outpatients or someone I don't know how it works in the uk now. Be careful...

Anne

• Posted

Mike did u have this privately. I have the s1 prolapse with also 2 above does the nurse not come to see you. Haven't a clue about medsx sorry but mixed mine last night with a sudafed and was I I'll!!

OK now but you have to be careful. I would ring hospital outpatients or someone I don't know how it works in the uk now. Be careful...

Anne

• Posted

Hi Anne,

No it was not private NHS,and no the nurse does not come.

Just returned from my first Hydrotherapy session, was good, but a little painful.

Still only sleeping about 3 or 4 hours max before the pain wakes me up.

Am seeing the Doctor on Wednesday, so just got to wait and see....

Not good about mixing your meds.. hope you feel better now.

Mike

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.