Post-Parathyroid Recoveery

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, all. I am a 24 year-old male living in the states. After around a year of feeling like complete crap.. (EXTREME fatigue, ibs, rib/abdominal pain, headaches, shortness of breath, etc.).. I was diagnosed with Primary Hyperparathyroidism (a rare disease for my gender/age group).

On July 12th, 2016 (two weeks ago today), I had surgery to remove the offending gland (which was found on an ultrasound). My surgeon was excellent and managed to remove the gland that was located on the scan, only to find that my intra-operative PTH level didn't decline at all (my pre and intra-operative PTH level was 55).

After informing my parents in the waiting room that he needed to carry-out a complete 4-gland exploration (thank god he was knowledgeable enough to do so), he ended up finding a tumor on another one of my glands that had descended into my chest-area (and he removed it).

Almost immediately, my intra-operative PTH dropped to a 13, and stayed there. I was released that day.

Now, here's where the depressing/tricky part comes in. So just a recap:

- 2 glands removed

- preoperative PTH = 55 / postoperative PTH = 13

- both upper right/left glands STILL REMAIN (and seemed to not be producing excess PTH upon surgical inspection)

- released from hospital 2 hours later and said to be CURED

Now, for the first week-or-so, I felt INCREDIBLE. All of my cramps, headaches, fatigue, ibs, acid reflux, etc just completely went away (no exaggeration here).

However, almost exactly a week later, I feel like complete crap again. The only symptom that has returned is my RIDICULOUS FATIGUE. I'm talking the kind of fatigue where a nap doesn't even help. Sleeping in doesn't help. Coffee doesn't help. Nothing helps.

I just want to reach out to those of you who have ALSO had parathyroid surgery in the past, and had symptoms linger/return. I am DESPERATE for help and for an answer. I took control of this myself and yesterday reached out to my surgeon who re-ordered a CBC, CMP and a PTH test (to see if my levels have risen or diminshed enough to be causing issues).

My question to WHOEVER can help me or offer support/advice is:

"how long did it take for your parathyroid FATIGUE to completely go away?"

Now, I'm not talking about being sleepy from anesthesia or the surgery itself... I'm talking that deep, foggy, life-halting fatigue that saps all of your energy and ruins your life. I am desperate for other people's personal experiences. I don't want to jump-the-gun too soon and think I am not cured, but this fatigue is ridiculous. How long did it take some of you to feel like YOU again? How long until you started to wake up with ZERO fatigue, and felt normal again?

This fatigue lingers ALL day. It feels like a cancer. It's ridiculous. I know it can take weeks/months to fully recover, but again, I am desperate for other personal experiences to lift my spirits. I want to get back to my normal life again.

Thanks to all,

Anthony

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Anthony,

Firstly really pleased for you that you had the operation and that you didnt go through years of misery of Gp's not believing or brushing your symptoms aside as is done with so many of us in the U.K.  It was good that the surgeon did the intra operative measuring as you probably know, when one gand is missed it can be very difficult and unpleasant having to have a second op with all the scar tissue from the first one.  I don't know why you feel so exhausted now.  Could it be related to something else?   Anyway, there is a group of around 700 of us on Facebook, from UK, France, Scandanavia and the U.S.  It is a private group and you would be most welcome to join and other members could relate their post op experiences.  It is a private group as I say and Admin do not accept immediately as we had a nutjob recently trying to sabotage the group.  If you go to Hyperparathyroid UK Action4Change and say Elaine sent you, I am sure you will be accepted.  By the way, we have had members as young as 15 and 16 needing this operation.  Have a look for Hyperparathyroid UK Action4Change  and in the meantime, just take it easy.  Regards Elaine

• Posted

It won't let me write a message since I am not currently a member of the group, but I requested to be added. Thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.