Post recovery exercise

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi hippies

I'm waiting for a surgery date, which will be some time in October. I'm not worried about having a L THR because I've already been through an arthroscopy (unfortunately unsuccessful in alleviating any pain) and that's a similar operation so I know the aftermath isn't very nice. However this time I'm confident that eventually I'll be pain (and painkiller!) free after over two years of suffering and having to give up everything I like doing.

My question is: do any of you have experience of going back to horse riding or running after surgery? My surgeon is a runner himself and has said that slow running on soft surfaces - grass or trails - will be ok but I should avoid road running. I've seen on another site stories of people going off and doing ultra marathons after THR - what do people think?

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I'm 8 weeks post RTHR , 2 years after both knees replaced. I was told repetitive impact activities, like running, not a good idea. That was in reference to my knees and I feel fortunate to be walking again !

However I have heard some people do run marathons and play basketball and other challenging activities. Also heard it will eventually wear out but I don't know how long.. If it doesn't hurt I would say live life and do what inspires you !

I used to ski and would love to try again, but it's been a long time and I personally don't think I would risk everything I have gained. There are other things that inspire me that I can do now.

• Posted

Hi Jenny , I was talking to my physio yesterday about running actually, now this guy is a very good friend of mine and I trust him with my life , he was running a huge practice in South Africa for 17 years before moving to the uk . He's extremely high up in his field of physiotherapy . His advice to me was never road run again after a hip replacement. The reason for this was not only the higher risk of injury but because on average a hip replacement lasts 10 years , with the high impact of running you could take this time down to 6 years . He said you need to live your life as normal but you need to look after that new hip if you want it to last you well . Swimming, bike riding, rowing .anything that's not high impact x

• Posted

Hi Jenny,

All I will say is having an arthroscopy is nothing like the pain after hip replacement due to the amount of muscles they need to cut through, bigger incisions. 

I would say no to road running but could so on softer areas. My surgeon said no running which is ok as I am not a runner. He said I can chase after grandchildren as long as I dont fall over. 

Saying that sports peole have replacemetns and run, but they will wear out sooner. Ive been told mine will last a lifetime if I look after it, so I go to the gym and aqua Zumba, but will not be a runner. ( I was 56 when I ahd RTHR last year). 

I know smeone who had both replaced and carried on skiing etc, and has had to have revisions. I suppose its however your implant copes with the impact.

I have ceramic ball and socket and titanium stem (Corail Pinnnacle) Supposed to be one of the best for active people. 

• Posted

I had THR on my left hip in Jan 2013, when I was 53, it was a great success.  I continued to play tennis/raquetball around 3-4 months after THR.  I started playing hockey after 11 months.  I was told by the surgeon the new hip will last 20-25 yrs.

On 7/25/16, I had my other hip replaced.  Same surgeon cleared me to resume raquetball/tennis on 10/25/16.  I might try to go back to hockey January of 2017.  I swim also, I started that 6 wks post op.

Good Luck, I am sure your surgery/rehab will go great !!!  biggrin

• Posted

Ok several different opinions, as I expected. Thanks for the replies. I won't be risking any more road races! I wouldn't have thought skiing was high impact by the way although as a non skier I don't think I'm going to start that activity now! My arthroscopy also included surgery for femoral acetabular impingement and took three hours so I think I do know what I'm in for.

• Posted

Fair enough Jenny but you didn't mention the other surgery. Having had a number of arthroscopic son various part. I was using that knowledge. Good luck with the op. 

• Posted

Hi Jenny,We are all different! The more you excerise now the better,but for heavans sake don't over do it! Also make sure you have a good team of helper's for your recovery! I also found hydrotherapy very helpful..I still have Reflexology whenever I can.Anyway good luck.regards Amanda h

• Posted

Hi Jenny, I also had an arthroscopy, had one done on my right hip over 3 years ago and still no pain,  When my left hip started hurting i thought o no big deal ill just go get and arthrosopy.  Well, i tried to two different times, but it didnt work, so had to have the surgery.  I did not experience any pain or discomfort with arthrscopy, but surgery has been another whole story for me.  My surgery was over 3 months ago,   Dr. didnt even let me come home from the hospital for 10 days, and I am still using a cane.  He did encourage me last time i was there which was last week, that he wanted me to do as much walking without the cane as possible.  I still do my pt every day, and i do have a tremendous amount of discomfort and pain.  I dont really think we can compare with others because it seems we all have had different and varied reactions.  Hope all goes well for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.