Post-Shingles runny nose

Posted , 3 users are following.

My husband has had a severe case of shingles twice on the right side of his face.  First outbreak at age 42.  Second outbreak at 83.  He also had cellulitis along with shingles the second outbreak.  It has been 6 mos. since the last shingles outbreak.  His eye is still a little sore, but the most annoying symptom is an almost constant runny nose, only on the side where he had shingles.  The minute he sees or thinks about food, his nose begins to run. He has seen two ENTs.  None of the common sprays work.  He had a steroid shot in his nose which gave in slight relief for two days.  His current ENT said he thinks the nerves are damaged and the nerves in his nose may be acting as salivary glands, starting up whenever food is around.  He had a CT scan which was negative.  ENT suggests cobalation of turbines, but no guarantees.  Has anyone else had an experience like this? Any treatments that were successful?  A constantly running nose seems like a little thing, but it is a big thing when it happens to you!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Dear Joy,

I am sorry for your husband's suffering. I looked up cobalation of the turbinates. The serious adverse event that can occur is "empty nose syndrome, " in which the patient cannot smell, taste, or breathe normally. The patient needs to live in a room with humidifiers etc, and is never comfortable. ENT surgeons are divided as to whether this occurs, but I would tend to believe the volume of complaining patient's who had too much tissue removed at the time of surgery.

Can the problem be managed by an antihistamine before he eats? I realize your husband is older, and there are side effects to every single medication. Does the nose run just on the side affected by shingles? Do you trust the ENT implicitly? I am not certain this procedure would work to decrease to stem the flow. Has the ENT stated as such? I have a lot of questions that this particular ENT should know the answer to. I would get a second opinion, if I were you, by a university ENT.

Sorry I couldn't be more help, but unless he can state this would help without any risks, I wouldn't do it.

Ask about medical treatment.

Again,

Seek help from a university physician.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Merry-- Thanks for the info.  My husband has tried all sorts of antihistamines and steroid sprays, with no improvement.  Yes, it is only on the side of the head which the shingles affected.  The other side of his nose does not run at all. The ENT who said he could try the cobalation of turbines did not say for sure it would help him, only that the condition might improve.  He is very highly rated and has treated our son for sinus problems.  Other doctors just shrug their shoulders.  Unfortunately, my husband is almost obsessed with the problem.  He cannot seem to accept that maybe the nerves are damaged and he might not be able to find an answer. In my opinion his fixation on the problem may be making it worse.  The reason I posted was that from all I can find this is an unusual result of shingles, and I can't find much information at all.
    • Posted

Joy,

I thought your husband might be fixated on the issue, especially when an individual becomes older. I am a nurse practitioner as well as having had Herpes Zoster-Shingles in my right ear every three to five weeks for the last 20 years. I understand the disease very well and the damage it causes. My fear is that the surgery might do more harm than good. I did read up on the procedure before I answered your question. It might help. I guess the question is, will your husband fixate on something else if this is fixed, or if he gets this fixed, will he be happy? You know your husband. Some individuals who suffer setbacks keep on going and smiling and don't complain, they work hard at getting better and do what they need to do . ...they adapt to the best of their abilities. Others are going to complain no matter what. The first premise of medicine is

1. Do no harm.

As the ENT physician is highly recommended, and you feel it might be able to help your husband, and your husband's medical condition can tolerate the procedure, certainly try it. There are no guarantees with it.

Please let me know if it helps. I have dealt with this disease for twenty years and other issues, so I have the deepest empathy for the ramifications of this and other diseases. I also have been a nurse for 43 years.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.