Post splenectomy. Tiredness?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I took a fall, skateboarding a few months back and broke 2 ribs and was discharged. A few nights later my spleen ruptured in the night, I was taken to hospital and had my spleen removed that night. 4 months on and I am pretty much fully recovered, although this was the worst thing I have ever experienced I have recovered quite well apart from the fact I now get unbelivably tired, I can no longer walk medium to long distances or skateboard for much shorter periods of time without being completely gasping for breath.. Another post surgery problem I have is random pains in my stomach, I realise we all get stomach aches but these feel more like twists or muscle contractions in the stomach or digestive system itself? I also suffer with incredible heartburn. I take penecillin 4 times a day. Does anybody else suffer with any of these problems? Thanks Guys.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Matt,

I had my spleen removed 16 years ago and random stomach pains remain my biggest issue. You should read up on abdominal adhesions. As recently as 2 weeks ago I had an ultrasound scan on my upper left abdomen, which revealed no issues, despite regular pain and digestive discomfort - particularly after exercise. Tiredness is sometimes an issue but not as bad as it was initially. 

Dave

• Posted

Do you take pain killers for your stomach pains? When I get stomach aches it makes me not want to leave the house, I was taking Tramdol but was taken off it as they're pretty addictive and the doctor is reluctant to give me any real pain killers, Co-codamol or paracetomol just don't cut it. Thanks for replying.
    • Posted

I've also had a read up on abdominal adhensions, it seems internal bleeding can be a cause and handling of the organs during surgery. I lost quite a bit of blood so there could be something there..
    • Posted

Matt, I find ibuprofen (nurofen plus) provide some relief. Also try peppermint in your diet - there are dietary supplement peppermint tablets you can get that can help. My doctor has also suggested mild laxatives (senokot). 
  • Posted

Tirdness is something I noticed after mine as well, and continuing on sadly. I believe that my body is constantly having to clean itself harder with other organs. Everyone notes how I am alwasy tired. However, I do not take any penicillin. I don't because I don't want to get a super bug and be unable to react to it with it or other medicines. It has been almost 6 years now. I will say that I do have weird things going on in my body chemistry, sadly. 
    • Posted

I'm sorry to hear that Nick, I too feel the same in a way, I feel generally unhealthier than I did before I too feel my organs are working harded to clean themselves, I would also like to stop taking penicillin but I'm worried also I will catch something if I don't take them I don't really know what to do.. Do you find anything helps? Thanks for replying
  • Posted

Hi Matt.

I had my spleen out in 86 and would highly recommend Erythromycin.

The last 2 years my left diaphragm has stopped working and I struggle to breath, I now have terrible stomach pains especially when I'm hungry, loads of bloating and gas.

I have been diagnosed with Splenosis in the last two weeks but that was by the neurosurgeon who diagnosed that my phrenic nerve was damaged meaning my diaphragm stops.

So I'm now desperate and in constant pain and not sure where to go 😢

• Posted

Hi Matt, I had my spleen removed in 1997 following a trauma playing football. I still suffer with bouts of tiredness but ability to exercise and be active did return - I think 4 months is a pretty short period, so dont despair - I think that will improve.

On the downside, the stomach cramps and pains have never gone away. I suffer bloating and what I call a "pulling sensation" in my left side, my gut also gurgles ridiculously at times. I try to avoid large meals and I use a prescribed laxative infrequently - when it gets bad. It's managable but always there.  

Your body went through a major shock - dont expect too much too soon. Why not set a year after surgery as a target date for being 90% back to where you were before - that way you can ackonwledge your progress instead of focussing on the negative.

Dave

• Posted

I had my spleen removed in 1966 after a sled collision with a tree.Considerably less energy.My health was ok except it took a long time to get over colds and wounds.I don't know if my lack of pain tolerance was due to loss of slpeen.In 2012 the low immune properties caught up with me and I developed blood poisoning and a lower spine infection.Six weeks of antibiotic treatment in the hospital and now I will get the yearly vaccine shot.

I got diagnosed with ADHD in 1994 with possibly chronic depression.My doctor has given me several different Serotoin reuptake drugs with no results.I have always thought there was a connection between loss of spleen and the serotoin but haven't been able to find any confirmation.

My energy levels have always been very low.When I was working(I'm retired now)I tried everything I could think of to have energy to maintain a 40 hour work week.Herbs,self hypnois,brain washing with self affirmations etc.I was lucky that I managed to hold down a job.

I don't know if this due to a lack of spleen or not but I could not tolerate alcohol very well.Vodka and beer in small amounts was all I could handle.A lenghty hangover of at least a week would follow even a small of alcohol.

I did not experience stomach pains or heartburn.But love to take alka-setzers which started shortly after having my spleen removed.

I read that a spleen can regrow if removed before 14 years of age.I lost my spleen when I was 14 and a half.IN 1993 I had some some surgury done and afterward I asked my Doctor if he saw any traces of a spleen.He said there were many little tiny spleens but none of a size to functune.

I wish you well,Debra,

Sorry about lousy spellings,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.