Post surgery dry cracked peeling skin - what should I do?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I had surgery on 30th March and have 3 incisions. Stitches were removed just over a week again and wounds are healing fine but in general my operated foot is dry, cracked and peeling - despite a ton of moisturiser! The problem is mainly between my toes and under my foot. I wear a special shoe and am heel weight bearing only, so no socks etc. my unoperated foot is 'normal'. Does anyone else have any experience of this - and any advice? I am thinking the wounds are healed enough for me to soak the foot and get a foot file to remove the skin under the foot, although still have no idea about between the toes....

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Julie, if you are able to shower I would soak your food and use a pumice or foot file.  I think it's common, I had the same for a couple of weeks and just used a foot file and also dried my foot on a separate towel and that also took off a lot of the dead skin off, it doesn't last for long.

Also Julie I had my sock on with my heel bearing shoe it keeps your feet nice and cosy although my operation was back in January when it was cold. 

• Posted

Perfectly normal. I just gently rubbed it off with a towel while foot still tender and moved to foot file when it felt more robust. Moisturiser and bio oil for the scr once the scab has gone.  My foot is still baby soft skin after 14 weeks. Feels odd! Need to toughen it up again with some hard core walking once I am able!
  • Posted

As unpleasant as it is, this is quite normal. The amount of skin and the condition of it may vary from person to person but it will peel/lift off and crack.  All people find something that suits them to sort this problem out.  I took of by hand any loose or lfted skin and I gently massaged a little baby oil in my foot each day and popped on a cotton moisturising sock and within a couple of weeks my foot is lovely and soft and probably in better conditoin than it was before!  

I wear a sock with my heel shoe as it feels too tender/sensitive to wear the shoe with nothing on my foot and it also keeps it warm smile

• Posted

My doctor just told me to buy vitamin e oil and rub it on my feet!
  • Posted

Thanks for all the advice; it seems foot file and moisturiser is the way forward (time to dig out that bio oil) - I do have some very minor red weeping from the cut on the side (old bunion joint) - is this normal too after 3 weeks? The other two incisions are healing well, but both are on the top of my foot.
  • Posted

I was just wondering about this as well!! Was driving me crazy. The bottom of my foot is peeling and is really hard. The skin on top is also peeling...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.