Post Surgery Journey

Posted , 3 users are following.

Ive posted a few times on here about my PF and being treated with a walking boot. I have tried all the non-invasive treatements.. and nothing was helping. At my Dr appt on Mon. my MRI results showed I did indeed have PF. And since nothing was helping, the Dr said my last option was surgery. And since the pain was now 24/7 I decided to go for it.

I had 2 choices of surgery dates, Tue or 2 weeks - and since I've been having 24/7 pain, I decided to just do it Tues.

Tues morning I had open Plantar Fasciitis Release surgery. The put me under as well as a nerve block in my foot. I couldn't feel my foot for a good 24 hours. On Wed, I started to have little aches and pains; I was taking pain meds as needed, was up  a little more than Tues, but I have a scooter I get around on. I noticed my toes looked a little puffy, but I just thought it was cuz I was up and moving around. On Thurs I noticed my toes and top of my foot looked more swollen. Luckly I have a sit down job, so I propped my foot up as much as I could at work, and used ice when I got home. I called my Drs office, just to inform them because it wasnt going down any. I got an appt yesterday (Fri) and he took the wrapping off my foot. My Entire foot swelled. And I have deep purple brusies undernearth my ankle on my inner side, and the arch area looks like its about to start brusing. He said that was normal. He put ointment on my stitches and rewrapped my foot. He thinks the swelling is because the 1st wrapping after surgery was too tight. Went home and iced it down.

This morning I wake up and my foot is 2x my other foot!

I have stitches on the bottom of my foot and an appt to go back next Wed.

He wants me to start bearing weight this weekend (with use of my crutches and medical shoe) and he really want to see me walk in on Wed with no help of crutches!

How the heck am I suppose to do that, when I can't even take ONE step without being in pain? I've tried several times last night to take a few steps and its the worst pain I have ever felt (worse than childbirth).. and Im not a huge whimp on pain. I fight thru, but I literally collapsed onto my scooter in pain.

Anyone have any suggestions? Or things what worked or didnt work for you after surgery and getting yourself back to normal?

If I could post pics I would... it looks bad.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I'm two weeks post surgery for pf, bunion, and foot reconstruction. Didn't have any swelling like you describe. If you are not sure you could always visit A+E. (UK) get it checked out. Better safe than sorry.
    • Posted

whats a A+E? I live in the US.

I went back to my podiatrist and he didn't seemed concerned about the swelling... My guess is that he thinks it is because of the old wrap being too tight... but you would think that him taking it off and redoing a new one (less tight) would bring the swelling down...

• Posted

Hospital accident and emergency . You would think so but by removing the bandage it has allowed the swelling to occur more. If you are concerned you should seek some medical advice. Here in UK we can seek advice at a pharmacy/chemist or walk in centre.
    • Posted

I just went to my Foot Dr yesterday about it though...

So Im not sure what the ER dr would do execpt give me suggestions and tell me to follow up with Foot Dr.

Its not really an emergency more than it is a concern for me.

Im just wondering why my foot has swollen. And what relief I can try.

I've tried googling Plantar Fasciitis Release surgery and really haven't found anything execpt that its a surgery the use to help when all non-operative methods haven't.

• Posted

To be sure, go to another doctor or podiatrist and have a second opinion. Deep purple bruises and swelling sounds like something is going in there. Wrapping too tight is not good. I recommend seeing another doctor to see what they say. I hope you feel better!
  • Posted

Hi Jacqueline, I hope your foot has improved today. I had company yesterday and did not look at my messages so I am sorry to not reply sooner. I think as the doctor has seen the foot it is probably OK. My foot is in a back slab cast as it has to be open to allow for swelling. I go back after two weeks for a full cast which indicates how long things need to settle. Try not to worry too much. I was told that if the foot starts to feel hot that is an indication that I needed to go back. Hope things settle soon for you and that the operation is a success.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.