post surgery ruptured achilles tendon

Posted , 42 users are following.

Thought i would start a new discussion. Tore my right achilles nearly 3 weeks ago now. Had the operation about 10 days after rupture. I am in my late twenties and it came as a bit of a shock if im honest. I go to the gym regularly and exercise with weights frequently.

Anyway, had the op and im in no pain and have no swelling. I was expecting a lot of pain but nothing. The most discomfort i have is when i have to get up to use my crutches, as after about 15 mins being stood up i can feel the calf start to swell a bit. I am told i am in this cast for another week and then they will change the angle of my foot for another cast. Looking forward to getting back to driving and the gym. Feel free to post your own stage of progress and any tips smile

3 likes, 128 replies

128 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi James my fiance is 51 very fit ruptured his tendern on Monday seeing orthopedic surgeon on Tuesday would you say having the operation is best way forward if offered? Really nervous for him incase of infection.
    • Posted

Without a doubt the operation is the best way. I have been really anxious about an infection too. It is highlighted a lot by NHS and others. Infection increases if you smoke and or are unhygenic around the house.

I have been taking huge amounts of vitamin C, as this helps with the wound and healing the tendon.

Research the sportsmen who do it. They all have the op. There is a reason why. Hope it goes ok for him smile

• Posted

Hi James

I'm just over 3 weeks now since rupturing mine. Opted non-conservative, was in cast first week, now in boot. Already I'm full wearing bearing and go back to physio next Friday so have boot set at 10%..... Never had no pain and can feel my calf muscles get stronger each day with me exercising the flex of my foot! Really happy with progress and another 4 week I hope to be out of the boot...

• Posted

That is great news. DId you have a full rupture?

I keep wiggling my toes and doing leg raises, as this increases blood flow in the hope that it wont be a long recovery

• Posted

Well they said i had a full rupture, so just happy with the progress really..
  • Posted

James, your situation is like me telling my story all over again. I had my injury last January 2014 and surgery a week later and YES, surgery was the way to go! I am a bit over 5 months and runnning and doing what seemed impossible just a few months ago. Some advice, BE PATIENT and be PRO ACTIVE in your recovery. Was your injury of the right ankle, if so driving was postponed for me for 3 months. I just encourage you to push some in your physical therapy, but know your limits, be patient, eat healthy and try to keep a healthy mind (reading, etc.). By the way I had a full rupture tear and had the minimal invasive surgery (PARS) using Anthrax. My incision is less than 1 inch horizontal and I made a excellent choice of procedure and doctor. Good luck and hope you have a full, speedy recovery.
    • Posted

That sounds promising. Yeah it is in my right hand side. Yeah driving is out for the forseeable future. Luckily I start the 6 weeks hols soon. (I am a teacher). I think my incision is about 4 inch vertical. When did you go FWB?
    • Posted

Sorry for the delay in my responding. I went FWB about 3.5 months (12 weeks) and let me tell you friend it has been a slow, steady, progressive process to say the least. I am 5 months and cannot go FWB on the ball of my right foot. I still have swelling, but I must tell you this is considered typical and certainly not out of the ordinary. BE PATIENT. DO YOU EXERCISES. LISTEN TO YOU BODY AND KEEP POSITIVE. It may take 1-2 years to fully recover. Good luck!
    • Posted

Should have clarified, FWB without the boot at 3.5 monhts (12 weeks). Also, I had to telework from home for 3 months, before I could finally drive, since it was my right foot that was affected. Whew! You will love having your freedom back driving again, it was great!
  • Posted

Stitches out tomorrow. 2 weeks down. Hopefully next few weeks will fly by. on the plus side my foot feels really strong. like i could walk on it (obvs i wont) anyone else had this feeling?
    • Posted

Hi James

Glad the recovery is going well. It's almost 5 week since I ruptured mine, although I didn't have surgery I am now fully weight bearing in the boot set at 10degrees equinus without the aid of crutches, so I'm progressing well.

• Posted

That's great news. I guess something like this makes you appreciate the little things more. I can't wait to be FWB. Missing the gym too now
    • Posted

Well I have a gym at home, but I'm missing driving. Although I swapped my manual for an automatic while in the boot. My brand new company car has arrived that I can't drive for at least another 3-4 week Grrr!!
    • Posted

Hi my fiance had his scan yesterday and you could see the full tear in his tendon. It's been 2 weeks now. When they took the cast off to scan it its very swollen but he's not in any pain. Not having surgery and has injections every day to stop blood clots. He has appointment 4th August for another cast to be put on and then about 4 weeks after that he goes onto the boot. Can you put weight on the foot when you have the boot? Or does this depend? Sounds like each case is different doesn't it..
    • Posted

Ruptured mine over 5 week ago, was in cast for one week, been in boot last 4. Starting position was 30 degrees in Equinus, very difficult to walk and you need the crutches. I'm now in 10 degrees and fully weight bearing and walking fine. It gets put to zero on 27.07 so hopefully it won't be long before the boot is removed.
    • Posted

Hi mel ,my experiance is not unlike your fiance ,on 5th april ihad

a full achillees tendon rupture shredded and also a near complete

Rupture further up near my calf. I had scan ,and have been in an

air walker jura boot 24/7ever since (non surgical ) ,5 wedges .2

weeks non w/b,wedge removed every 10 days (,2 to go,) partial

w/b 2to 4 weeks and then 4to 8 weeks partial or full w/b if pain

allows.(not yet ready for that )next Hosptal appt june 2nd ...iknow

What hes going through .i cant put full or even partial on the boot

yet without the walker (cant do crutches). Any pain im getting is in

My heel and swelling which goes down overnight .if i can help

Further let me know .best wishes to your fiancee ..

• Posted

Me agaiin just noticed mels post was 2 years ago .id be interesed

to know the present situation

• Posted

Hi bobbers how's you? I completely snapped my Achilles on the 6th April, out the boot now and walking, seems everyone treatment is different, couldn't believe one guy had 3.5 months NWB

• Posted

Hi mel thanks for reply.

Wow ,seems to me from what ive read your progress is astonishing

Well done ,im now at 6 weeks still in boot and 1 wedge to go in 5

Days and seeing hospital again june 2 after 8 weeks in boot 24/7

Ive been partial w/bearing for 2 weeks and not much pain .i do get

Pain in my heel which i think might be tendonitas ?but atm my

Biggest worry is extreme swelling through the day in my foot and

below the knee .which is detering me from trying full w/bearing .

My diagnosis was a full rupture and also near full rupture mid calf .

I would be interesed in your hospital diagnosis as your progress

Has given me some hope of a recovery sooner rather than later .

Best wishes and once again well done .

• Posted

Sorry. it was matt i was replying to not mel
    • Posted

Yes keep at it and stay as active as possible! i watched Youtube videos and used the cross trainer in our garage during the first 6 weeks with the boot on. Only thing they did was the Thompsons test, operated 6 days after it happened, as my Consultant said the only way to re-rupture is to jump on it. Stay positive it will get better 
    • Posted

Ok matt thanks maybe i ßhould get a cross trainer in my workshop

I will update on my progress .ive been using a frame ,as i was

feeling unsteady with the crutches ,but today decided to

persevere as maybe they are not so hard on my shoulders being a

Big guy 18st .

Best wishes

• Posted

Yeah persevere mate, crutches wrecked my shoulders until one day they're fine, body adjusts as you know, all the best with your recovered, I suppose a positive is appreciate the small things in life, like going to the shops on a bike. How did you do yours btw?

• Posted

Yes thats good advice ,it was my own stupid fault ,my car wouldnt

Turn over and so thinking it was the starter motor had stuck i put it

In gear With brake off and was rocking it to free it up, and then felt this

massive electric shock like pain in my ankle /calf and then couldnt

stand on it at all .at 69 i should have known better .and called for

the breakdown instead .was yours a sports injury ?

• Posted

Mine was a sudden sprint, hasn't been nice having to rely on so many people but like I say it has been an eye opener

• Posted

Yes .especially when your the main doer in thehousehold we have

had some help from friends and my daughter and husband

has stepped up ,other than that my wifeand are muddling through

it but help is at hand in minutes if we need it .wewere offered

social services help by the hospital because of our age ,but we

declined that .its surprising what youcan do on one leg if your

carefull .l.o.l .imanaged to get into my workshop yesterday

amongst all my hobby tools and stuff ,i felt better for that.Im

thankfull i havnt an employer breathing down my neck .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.