post traumatic scoliosis and kyphosis treatment

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am a 19 year old male dealing with some major back issues. When I was 13 I had a traumatic thoracic injury and had some mild compression fracturesdin my T2, T3, and T4 vertebrae. I healed and have been fine for many years, but recently have been having some major problems. Because of the compression fractures, I now have minor scoliosis and kyphosis in my spine and it's causing me daily discomfort and I've stopped having to do all my activities. I am an incredibly active person. I skydive all the time, run, swim, bike, weight lift and I've had to stop all of it. Everything I've read about treatment is that you have to get pretty major back surgery and that all the things I love to do that I mentioned earlier I would not be able to do and that would really really suck so I'm just looking to see if anyone has some insight or personal experience on a situation like this. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I would recommend you visit a chiropractor and try Pilates classes. They have helped me after I discovered I had a scoliosis 2 years ago. I am 57. Nowhere near as fit as you, but both have helped me with my posture and body strength. It's worth a try before you think about surgery?

Good luck, best wishes

• Posted

Hi,

I strongly recommend Bikram Yoga to help with spine issues. It's a healing yoga practiced in a hot (105 degree) room. The main focus of the practice is on strengthening and stretching the spine. I was crippled with back pain from my scoliosis when I started, and within a few classes my pain went away, and has stayed away as long as I continue to practice. For you, what might be great also is that the practice can be gentle when you begin and can't do much, but as you get stronger it gets more and more challenging, and it's a great workout.

• Posted

HI, I had scoliosis T2 - L2 corrected by surgery. It will be two years Feb 2017 from my operation. I was 57 when they operated, bearinginmind my curve was 72 top 48 bottom. I currently do sit ups, core exercises swim, jog,and dance. This has all been approved by my consultant. I am obviously stiff with so much metal in me two rods and 17 screws but you do not stop living. The  only activity mentioned that would cause me concerns is the weight lifting. In the UK anything above 40 degree curve is usually operable. I would discuss the operation in detail with your consultant and the sporting activites you do and what they recommend post op. Usually nothing to be done in the first 6 mths as the healing processs is still in early stages. My consultant sees his patient up to 2 years post op before being signed off. Don't give up on the idea you will have to give up sports, and is the operation what you want or really need? Hope this helps. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.