Post-TURP swelling and catheter

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi. I'm writing about my Dad. He's 83, in good health. He had laparoscopic surgery for his gall bladder a couple of months ago (went fine), and related or not, his enlarged prostate swelled up and he required a catheter to void. He had catheters in for about 10 weeks - they removed it and looked with a scope at one point, but he had to go back in six hours later to have the catheter reinserted. 

He had a TURP two days ago and was discharged from hospital yesterday. Everything was fine - good flow, colour looked right, volume good. However, less than 24 hours later, he had to go to emergency and get a catheter reinserted. He wasn't able to urinate and was in considerable pain. 

Has anyone else experienced this, and what happened? Could it just be temporary post-op swelling, or something else? If it was temporary, how long did it take to subside?

Thanks.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I had almost the exact same thing happen.  I had Green Laser TURP on a Thursday and was released with a Foley catheter.  They had me come back in the next day, removed the catheter, and in the middle of he following night, I had acute urinary retention that involved a rush to the emergency department where another Foley was put in.   I was sore and swollen for several weeks, and after the Foley came out, I did some self cathing to get the urine out.  The root cause for me was poor surgery with the GL that left a lot of haning debris that caused on going inflammation.   Good luck to your dad.
  • Posted

It sounds like remedial swelling. It normally takes 10 days to 2 weeks for all the swelling to go down. If his condition hasn't improved by then, more tests are needed.

• Posted

I had a little problem after cath was removed. Debri and blood clot was stuck. Went to docs he cathed me and it pushed it loose so i could void it to get rid of it. Lazy nurses didnt flush cath as instructed. Only 1 did. Other 2 didnt. Flushing gets alot of the chunks out so they dont cause issues.
  • Posted

Hi Dinsdale,

Questions regarding surgery. Was this laser turp? Did they vaporize the tissues or cut them? I believe laser TURP that vaporizes tissues on touch should have less residual tissues to drain out?

• Posted

Blood clots was most my issue. If they vaporize the tissue they usually already took a sample? When they did mine the material removed went to the lab for testing. Didnt use laser.

• Posted

I feel sorry for you father.  When they did his gallbladder they must have touch the bladder.  I think the prostate was fine and it was the bladder that was the problem  They needed to check him out before they rush him into a turp surgery that is very dangerous for any man but someone your fathers age is worst.  Did he have any problem before the gallbladder surgery.  Ken
    • Posted

I am 53. When they did my TURP it made my bladder mad. 3 months before my 53rd birthday. At his age it wouldnt take much to stop its function. Then it had to learn how to function again. I had to head to the bathroom before i actually had to go or i wouldnt make it. Took a couple weeks or more before i had a little control. Lets just say its a good thing i live out in the country. Couple times i was outside and no way i was making it back into the house.
    • Posted

Why at 53 would you have a turp to many side effects.  No way in He// would they ever do that to me at any age  Ken
    • Posted

Prostate was big for a guy my age what i was told. When i looked it up sites i found gave only slight odds of problems. I have no side effects yet. But pre op symptoms seem to be returning. Have follow up ap next week.
    • Posted

Was that the FIRST THING HE OFFERED.  That all he knew.   Most of the time they work out but over the last few weeks I have read on here that they have to have them 2 or 3 time to clean up the mess that a turp does to you body.  No way they will ever distroy me like that.  My doctor know better.  He only does a turp has a last resort.  I he will never bring it up to me....I jave told him the way I feel.  My PSA was 0.7 and my prostate got smaller since I had my urolift  Ken 
  • Posted

General anaesthetics can cause retention of urine. It's happened twice for me, but I was back to normal after a couple of days.

• Posted

Also, certain medications such as pseudoephedrine can temporarily increase prostate volume and restrict urine flow.
    • Posted

In my case, prednisone and bronchial dilators (inhalers) inflated my prostate size causing complete blockage.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.