Posterior Repair 6 mths after VH & Anterior Repair

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello All,

I'm back on the forum after a break of 4 mths.  You were all so helpful when I had my VH and Anterior Repair last April and I'm after some advice regarding Posterior Repair.

I had my 6 mth check with my surgeon today and as I suspected I need further surgery for the rectocele - grade 2/3.  I really wish it had been done in April with the cystocele repair but no use crying over that now.

Can anyone tell me how the posterior repair (the operation /recovery /pain/intercourse etc.) compares to the anterior repair.  I found it relatively pain free last time and intercourse was fine after 6 weeks. But I've heard that posterior is more painful.

Also has anyone had the SSF stitch as well.  I have to sign the consent form for that too just in case I need it.

Thank you in advance. 

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Keep stools soft prior to surgery and just after. Pain relief and anti inflammatory is important to manage the pain so take it as soon as it's due. 

I was lucky no problems going for a poo the day after. Wasn't too painful but no straining. My perineum was the sorest.well worth it and I'm 10 months post op.

hows the anterior repair no more bulge or symptoms? I need this done so opposite lol x

• Posted

So you had Post Repair first?

I signed up for all repairs but awoke to find they'd only done the VH and anterior.  So I knew that the posterior was likely to be needed in the future.

Yes Anterior Repair has been successful and obviously not having a womb means theres a lot less downward pressure generally.  No more urine leaks when sneezing or walking.  Still can't run though which is my biggest regret as I was a keen 10k runner up to the age of 45.  Sex was fine after 6 weeks or so.

Thanks for replying.

• Posted

Yes posterior repair first. My surgeon prefers to see patients fully recovered from one op and sex being ok.  Before further surgeries x
  • Posted

Ssf stitch? I've also heard posterior repair is a more painful healing. Although it's annoying waiting in glad my Dr is testing for both before my surgery. I go in for last test (urodynamics) tomorrow; then can schedule procedure. Can't wait!!!!

• Posted

Hi Steph thank you for replying.

Sacro Spinous Fixation Stitch  - to support the top of the vagina now that I've had a hysterectomy.  

What are you having done?  Anterior/posterior both?

• Posted

Right now just posterior. Have a urodynamics test today to rule out anterior
    • Posted

Hi,

I've just had anterior & SSF - how long recovery? I'm almost 3 weeks post op & still feel quite uncomfortable, I'm walking 15mins a day, but I have to sit down or lay down after. I mooch around the house, hanging up washing my family do all the bending down for me, I'm still bleeding, was that the same for you? 

Anita x

• Posted

Cannot compare with anything but nearly 3 weeks in after posterior repair and no pain or problems.Still feel a little uncomfortable but have been walking regularly.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.