Posterior repair advice - how did you feel?

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi everyone - I'm just under five weeks posterior repair surgery. If you have had the surgery how did you feel at the same time? I am worried as at the moment I feel I still have the prolapse and I actually feel more uncomfortable/pain now than I did before the op. I still have pain/discomfort when going to the toilet and don't feel any different than that, is this normal? I'm still taking Lactulose twice a day and senacot every other day and drinking and eating healthy and resting lots even though I am still uncomfortable sitting and standing and lying down! I am at my post op on the 23rd and I just wondered how everyone felt up to six weeks as at the moment it feels like it's failed for me and getting me down sad Anyone's personal experience of this would be appreciated, thank you

3 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Next
  • Posted

donna as I mentioned in a previous post I felt exactly the same and so do a lot of women. You'll read about how ladies go back to work at 5 weeks but that's very rare and I certainly wouldn't advise it because it's far too early even if you do feel well. The nature of this surgery is that you often feel worse and in more pain than you did initially and we tell all our patients that. The reason why you feel you still have a prolapse is because you're swollen and I can assure you if you saw the operation you'd understand why. Everything you describe is normal, I've been through it and have nursing experience in urogynaecology as well. When you feel tired your body is telling you to rest. Mother Nature is very clever at telling the body when to take things slowly and everyone recovers at different rates anyway so my mantra is "listen to your body", everything will be fine but this is major surgery so treat it as so.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply! I have been worrying over the last few weeks as to whether I should be feeling better or not or whether it is all part of the recovery, so thank you for the reassurance! I am back to my post op check in just over a week and I am signed off until then but I am worried about work as I do a physical job which means I work continually on my feet for four hours pulling and stretching, I think I'm going to need more time before I go back as at the moment I'm struggling just walking around the house in brief amounts. Thank you for your advice, it's very much appreciated

• Posted

You will need more time off work. I went back after 13 weeks on a graduated return and  I was mainly office based then rather than on the wards but driving to meetings quite a bit as well. As you have a physical job I'd advise the same if you can because you don't want to undo all the good work your surgeon has done and you'll feel like me you don't want to go through it all again! Take care and look after yourself because it will be worth it x

• Posted

Thank you for replying, sorry for the delay but I've felt really unwell the lastfew days I do not know if it is linked or not as I think similar people have had the same symptoms but I feel I have a urine or bladder infection as on top of the other it hurts to empty my bladder and even when I have I feel like I need to go again especially if I lie down! But I also feel flu like and have headache and sore throat!!!! Thank you for your advice

• Posted

It sounds as though you need some antibiotics donna. If it's a urine infection you do need to see or speak to your GP.

• Posted

Hi thank you for your reply, if I still feel like that with the bladder tomorrow I'll try and get a gp appointment. Thank you x

• Posted

Thank you for your advice and encouraging me to go to gp - she tested the urine and it didn't show infection but she said it may be early signs so she gave me antibiotics and sample will be tested.

• Posted

I'm pleased you've got some antibiotics. Sometimes the basic test doctors perform doesn't highlight an infection so thankfully you have a sensible GP who has listened to your symptoms. If you start feeling better in about 48 hours then you can safely say it's an infection.

• Posted

Yes I was worried what she might say as I've not seen gp before but she did seem to be thorough! Hopefully those symptoms will ease in the next few days!

• Posted

Hi, Donna 😁 I checked my dairy at four to five week after post op.

I had lots of pain and some fever. I only could walk around in the house. I missed daughter's swimming carnival and ceremony. I was depressed and deeply regretted having had the surgery.

I have had some more problems since then. Matron and ladies include you helped me here even tonight lol

At 11 week, I feel like backing to yoga as you know. I still feel uncomfortable sitting for hours but no pain any more.

You are not only one. You will feel better soon. Please take it easy and feets up as much as possible. Warm up around tummy and feets healed my pain. I'm cuddling a hot water bottle on my tummy now.

Take care xxx

• Posted

Thank you for your reply and help and advice i really appreciate you letting me know how you felt at the same time. Take care and all the best with your recovery x
  • Posted

Hello Donna, 

like the others I too felt the same at 5 weeks I'm only 6 weeks now and still uncomfortable a lot of the time.  My swelling seems to be a little less now and I was only brave enough a few days ago to take a look. I'm quite surprised with the difference and really hoping I can continue to heal well and this is me finished.

• Posted

Hi, thank you for your reply and letting me know how you felt at the same time. I think you are brave to take a look I don't think I'll be attempting that but I am curious and very scared for the consultant to examine me at the six week check, I just hope things will be ok! Good luck with your recovery, take care x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.