Postular hypotension

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

my mum is 71 and was recently diagnosed with low blood pressure, particularly bad when she stands up.

She has recently started treatment.  She is drinking 4 litres of water a day and taking the drug midodrine.

She is very down and worried about the future.  Her major concern is whether the treatment will work and she'll start to feel better.  She doesn't know when she wakes up in the morning if she'll have an okish day or if she'll feel completely wiped out for the whole day.

Does anyone else have experience with this drug and if so did it help, to what extent and how long did it take to sort out the right balance of water intake and medication levels.

Hoping to hear from someone,

Jane.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi don't take the drug but I do have POTS diagnosed a few months ago I have loads of told if it helps -
    • Posted

Sorry Kate, loads of  'told?'  Did predictive text get you?!
  • Posted

Hi pigeon..................i have vasalvagal syncope, similar to POTS, im not on meds for it, however, i do take in 3/4 litres of water per day, and im liberal with the salt on my meals, your mum will find the water alone will make her feel much better, cant answer for the meds though, water brings low bp up and helps with blood volume, which, causes a lot of the POTS and syncope symtoms, so if that med is to do with bringing blood volume up, then it should help enormously.
  • Posted

She is on he righ meds for sure. Drink lots of water and if necessary you can supplement your salt intake with salt tabs, I take 8-10 a day. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.