Potential Trigger?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey guys! 

So I've been taking a relatively small dose of neurontin every since getting diagnosed with TN a month ago. I take 300 mg in the morning, afternoon, and then before bed. I noticed that I have been getting facial breakouts just on the side of my face that I normally get attacks. I can live with that because I can combat it. However, now a sore popped up in my mouth on my trigger side, and I feel like it's causing small triggers of pain from my TN. I'm fighting the canker sore to make it go away, but has anyone ever experienced a direct relation to triggers caused by canker sores before? It's almost like I can feel the nerve trying to flare up and send out shocks, but the medication helps prevent a full attack. Thank god.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Firstly, yes, I get small white pimples and a red rash line from my nose to my mouth both during and after an attack. I am sure there is a direct correlation as I have never had pimples before in my life even during the teen years. Secondly, can you please elaborate on what you are calling a sore in your mouth. Do you mean a cold sore, an ulcer or something different to either of those??
  • Posted

Yes, I have had what you describe when I first got diagnosed with TN.   It may be medication related or TN related.  For me it went away and my body stabilized after a while.  It was a few years ago and I had forgotten about it.
  • Posted

Hi Erin I just found this site And your question has given me some relief I've had trigeminal for 10 yearsUndiagnosed until 3 years ago 7 years ago I had incredible mouth pain near the teeth and swelling on the pallet that erupted to a soreAfter two years of dental nightmare including rootcanals extractions etc etc I talked to a neurologist that I work with and began seeing him for treatment of TN I almost underwent sinus surgery thinking it was a blockage in the cavity ~ back to the mouth sore I had one biopsied by an oral surgeon the pathology report returned stating all the abnormal cells were harmless inflammatory cellsThe surgeon actually photographed the sore and was baffled by it~Thanks for the post

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.