PPI stopped working, very worried...

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello, I was diagnosed with short segment Barrett's two years ago and have since been on Nexium but recently it stopped working and I am getting heartburn again. I recently switched to Lanzoprazole but it's not very effective and I have daily, albeit mild, heartburn with some hoarseness and a cough caused by the reflux. 

I'm so worried that the Barrett's segment might be getting bigger. Can anyone tell me if they've been through anything like this and what they did about it? 

My gastroentorolgist just told me the PPIs should work and sent me on my way... 

Does anyone know how long it take for Barrett's to grow in the oesophagus? 

Any advice would me much appreciated, thanks. 

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jk32 I am having bad problems too I have 1cm barretts and most Poisson work for me either on rabeprazole at moment but still get burning,nausea feels if if food-sticking sending me for barium swallow on routine I'm scared it's gonna turn to cancer hope to hear from you
    • Posted

Sorry should say ppis don't work
    • Posted

Hi Tracie, thanks for the reply. Good news is that 1cm Barrett's is less likely to turn to cancer than people who have 2cm plus Barrett's segments. 

What did your dr. recomend when you told him you were having these symptoms despite taking the PPIs? 

• Posted

I've been through all ppis and they have stopped workin I worry about cancer non stop at the moment I burn when I eat I'm having a barium swallow done I hope my barretts is not worse my actual gastritis bad at moment
  • Posted

Hi

I dont fortunately suffer from Barrett's but have lived with acid reflux for most of my life. I have been on Omeprazole for about 15 years during which time the reflux morphed into acid regurgitation ... awake most of the night belching back acid flavoured undigested food 12 hours after I had eaten it!

Things came to ahead on Boxing Day 2014 at which point I decided to do some research online in a desparate attempt to chage things. as a reult of this I read and bought into the idea promoted mostly on amercian sites that the problem with reflux is that you dont produce enough acid and this puts pressure on the valve and that the medical profession just treat the symptoms not the cause (which if you believe this theory actually makes things worse!). 

Since this time I have been taken 2 Hydrochloric Acid with pepsin tablets with every meal (except breakfast) along with Digestive Enzymes. I havent had a single bout of reflux or regurgitation since doing this and mostly have an overwhelming sense that the food is being efficiently digested.

I still have discomfort because I believe that my oesophagus has become damaged over the years ... i'm working on this ( I think a strict diet is the answer) but do find that Slippery Elm helps to soothe.

I dont know if this information will help your situation but anything that might help stop the acid reflux must be a good move.

Good luck, I know the misery and worry this whole digestive thing causes

• Posted

Quite correct Mark. We all seem to produce less acid as we age yet the treatment seems to always be acid reducing PPI's. Odd!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.