Pre Assessment

Posted , 4 users are following.

Can i just ask what happens at your pre assessment appointment? I was originally told id have these checks the morning of my opp but received an appointment for a week before my opp. I live 3 hour away from the hospital so to find out i need to go for a 30 min appointment is a bit of a pain. The lady i spoke to when rang said they may just ask some questions over the phone!dBut when he put me through to the team i just got the answer phone.

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hello there!

This can't be really completed by phone. However you have to sign the operation agreement forms for the operation and this has to be discussed with the Surgeon initially so you are clear of any risks you undertake having a GA. Usually about previous recent Operations, Allergies, current BMI weight,  drugs currently taking BP, ECG bloods. Once you have cleared this you should get your Op date..

• Posted

I was told my blood pressure etc would be done the morning of the opp. Will see what they say when i can get to speak to someone.
  • Posted

THEy check your BP,. ECG, urine, bloods, MRSA swabs taken from groin and nose and i got measured for the snazzy post op stockings to counteract blood clots - it was all very easy - I was also asked questions re my life style and medical history - it took around 45mins -  whilst it might be a bit of a pain having to make a separate trip to the hosp its better than turning up on the day of yr op and finding that there is something such as MRSA or yr BP which would prevent you from having the op.  If however you have been given duff gen i can understand your frustration at having do do a 3 hr journey but it really is for the best i think 
    • Posted

Ive never had high bp and was told in a letter i got last week that swabs would be sent to my home to do myself. Im very confused.
  • Posted

yes but they still need to check yr BP regardless of whether its always been ok or not plus all the other things such as ECG, blood and urine samples - you wouldnt be able to do them yourself - I can understand your confusion if you were told otherwise originally but they do have yr best interests at heart and how annoyed and disappointed would you be if you turned up on the morning of yr op and was told that the tests they had just done were not going to make the op possible that day and you would have to come back another time say when the MRSA had been treated or whatever 
    • Posted

Ive spoken to my contct at ramsey and she said i should be havin my checks the morning of my opp. She is going to speak to my surgen and let me knkw asap whats happening. So hopefully she will get back to me over next couple of days
  • Posted

Be prepared to be travelling back every 6 weeks post op, for your band to work you will need check ups this involves going every 6 weeks for a fill or a chat.  I had mine fitted with Ramsey in June, everything is settled I have had one fill.  My next one is in September.  I'm not feeling any restriction yet and battling with the gym and sheer mind over matter to keep my weight at the post op weight.  I hope that this helps manage your expectations long term.

• Posted

The clinic where they do post opp and fills is just up the road for me. Its only the actual procedure i have to travel.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.