Pre-assessment today

Posted , 10 users are following.

today had my pre assessment , had to sit and wait half an hour so nerves really on a high when the door opened.  Nurse could not have been nicer, getting braver, couldnt look when needle went in for blood test, but watched blood come out.  She feels i can do this no problem, hope she is right.  Got a whole load of paperwork to fill out for my next assessment end of the month.  I have to measure chairs, beds and the toilet.  Any one else have to do this. Hope all you hippies manage to get a good nights sleep. Sue xx

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Yes all the measurements for the post op equipment that you get on loan. 
    • Posted

Thanks maggie, stupid as this sounds do you measure to the seat lid or the bowel, see told you it was a stupid question.lol
    • Posted

Sue you measure from the bowl down , excluding the lid
  • Posted

Hi Sue,

I had to do the form filling, measuring furniture, toilet etc in readiness for my pre op assessment which is next Thursday. The rehabilitation and meeting other patients is happening immediately after the pre op.

All forms filled in and ready

Lyn

• Posted

I had to have blood work and an EKG answer loads of questions and fill out oodles of forms before I was cleared for surgery.
  • Posted

Hi Sue, 

Yep, loads of forms to fill out - I didn't have to measure anything though, just had to make sure that bed and chair etc were elevated - I had already problems with the low toilet seat to begin with, so the raised toilet seat works very well for me - I might keep it rolleyes- I had 2 THR surgeries within 6 months ... so the next assessment will probably be about the medication you are taking and perhaps the aneasthesia plus informaton about the surgery? 

I remember how scared i was after this orientation presentation - had no clue what they were showing me and talking about , but it will all make sense afterwards.... 

The ball is rolling darling ... 

take care 

warm hug

renee

• Posted

Sue..I was so nervous and cancelled the first op...Yes you need to measure things so that your knees is not ever higher than the hip...this for first 6 weeks..  I am now 4 weeks post and know how you are feeling.  keep looking at this site it calmed me down before and helped me afterwards when I was worried about anything.

​Nights are still difficlut but roll on the magic 6 weeks.  I am not needle phobic but wouldn't watch the blood either..I am however sick phobic but the medics filled me with anti sickness meds and I was alright.

Keep looking and joining in this site it will help you more than you can believe.

Chin UP

Ali2

• Posted

Hi Sue, once I had my pre op I was given the forms, like you to take the measurements. I then received an appointment for training on the aftercare of my new hip. They showed me things like easy ways to get in and out of bed, the car and how to dress my bottom half using a grabber for the first few weeks. At that appointment they also discussed aids I would need to be issued on loan. Try not to worry about the op, the first few weeks are the worst, but still better than the awful pain you are experiencing now. I had the original type of op, meant being soon crutches for 12 weeks,longer than most, but surgeon decided it was the best method for me. Ii had my op on 22nd June and can honestly say it is the best thing I have ever done. There will be up and down days but it is all worth it. I am 67 and feel I have a new life again. Good luck with your op, let us know your progress.x
  • Posted

Hi Sue

i have my pre-op assessment next Tuesday. The letter I had said it could take up to 5 hours! I had to fill in a form with the measurement of chair, bed and toilet and return to the physiotherapist at the hospital prior to appointment. They can then decide what aids will be needed on my return home. Hope all goes well for you. 

All the best.

steph

• Posted

My pre assessment was split in two next one will be about 3-4 hours so i was told.  Thank you everyone for all your help and advice i really do appreciate you all. Sue
  • Posted

I am amazed with all this talk of pre op assessments! My surgeon very quuickly ran through the basics, gave me a pamphlet and then a date for surgery and that was it. The pamphlet was about how they do hip replacements, which was not very helpful. I had to figure it all out for myself, and I'm sure many others would not have been able to do this. The day before I left hospital the Occupational Therapist visited and ran through a checklist of what I'd need, and i guess she would have helped get it for me.

What a fabulous organised system you have in the UK!

• Posted

Does tend to vary a bit, but because they want you in and out as quickly as possible it has evolved. The preop is usually in two parts, even if done at the same time. Medical checks and the physio needs and exercises with all the questions and answers re dos and donts, equipment needs and how best to prepare as a second half. This means that on the day of the op we can go to theatre via the admission lounge. I was asked to be at the hospital for 6.45, final checks, saw the anaesthetist and in theatre for 8.45. Op done and on ward by 11.45
    • Posted

I think it must depend on the surgeon and hospital.  I'm in the U.S. and had all sorts of pre-op information and meetings.  Even so, it still didn't seem like enough information.  I guess that's why most of us are on this forum.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.