Pre op, how long? What do I need?

Posted , 7 users are following.

hi guys, I had my pre op yesterday, how long do you think I will have to wait for my op? Also what is a must have to bring with me? What do you pack in your case? 

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

They made me wait 30 days because I think in my state you have to wait if your of child bearing age, to give up that right. I guess in case you change your mind. I wore the same outfit in as I wore out lose and comfy! Go to the drug store and buy 2 flat re-freezeable ice packs, so that you can alternate. Ice really helped me to relax along with the meds. The nurse brought me bags of it several timnes during the night. A huge must!!! Coliace stool softner, that first poop was difficult for me. Took several days. It's not bad I was back to work in a week, but probably should have taken 2, as sitting for 6-8 hours was difficult, but I had a huge uterus and it was done vagionally. I hope this is to much info, not to scare you but I tell it only as my  personal experience. Lots of luck! Erin
    • Posted

Thank you, I never thought of ice packs, I will get them now so I'm ready. X
  • Posted

I think it was about two weeks after pre op and you will need something to read such as a book or magazines your shower bits a nightie dressing gown and slippers your mobile phone and charger because until the op is over you don't  know how long you'll be in for hope everything goes well Lyn x
    • Posted

thanks, I will pack a new book, they asked me yesterday if I could come in at short notice so I'm going to pack my case this weekend ready to go. X
  • Posted

Had my op in June done vertical abdominally, dont take pjs as you will probably have a cafiter in for a few days. I was advised to take peppermint oil caps which I found helped with wind. If you have trouble going to the toilet first time they will give you something for that, main thing is not to worry and I took ginger and lemon tea bags with me to help me relax. As long as you do everything they tell you you will be ok good luck and keep us posted
  • Posted

Hi,

I am 42 and had a TAH last October. A must have is peperrmint tea for the post op wind. Even if you dont like it!! I dont like it but saw it as medicine and was the only one trumping for England out of all of us who had hysterectomies...and it needs to be out! Also, lactulose syrup. Have a couple of doses a day 2 days before op then continue for a couple of weeks after op. Keeps stools nice and soft. I wish I had known to do that as I was terribly constipated for 7 days after op which made post op pain much worse. I always said if I was ever asked advice for surgery I would pass that on. Please do it!!!! x

• Posted

Hi,I had my pre op in Jan and my op in April.I had a TAH & BSO.I sorted out different things for my Dad to bring each day as you don't get a lot of storage space.I was in 3 nights but I didn't get my things until the 2nd night as I was delayed going to theatre and when my Dad came later that night no one knew where I was so he went back home with all my things again.My hospital supplied a nightie and toiletries to get me by.Our hospital food is horrible so I took some snacks.Don't take too many valuables for security reasons.I paid for tv so I took a TV guide aswell as other magazines but I was quite often being nosy watching what was going on.A pen and notebook is handy.Tissues,wet ones,lip balm and dry shampoo.I hate nighties but I did buy some because of the catheter situation.I didn't need to bother as my catheter came out the next morning and then I went straight from my gown to a hospital nightie.Large comfy knickers are a blessing and clothes that you can put on easily when you leave hospital including slip on shoes.I put some things in food containers so that stacked up on which made it easier when they were on my table over my bed especially when the meals came round as you generally need quite a bit of room for a tray.I took a dressing gown,slippers,phone and charger.I took towels but I ended up using the hospital ones.Hope this helps for now.
    • Posted

Gosh you had a while to wait for your op, I'm hoping mine is sooner rather than later. I wasn't going to buy a nightie I was just going to put the catheter down the leg of my pjs, do you think this is possible?
  • Posted

The hospital told me it had to be a nightie not just because of the catherter but for examination of you and the wound  but ask at your doctors they might think it ok
    • Posted

thats good to know, i will buy one just to be on the safe side. thank you. xxx

• Posted

It was two weeks after pre.op, I'm having surgery this morning, I'm 32, a bit overwhelmed but holding firm, I need relief so I can have some sort of normal life again, do U always get a catheter?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.