Prebiotic and or Probiotic

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm new here and recovering from diverticulitis for the third time since being diagnosed less than a year ago. I've been reading about pre and probiotics. My pharmacist said they are the same thing. But that doesn't seen to be the case from what I've read. Can anyone advise on this subject? And, should you start them while recovering or wait until it's better?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jennifer, Sorry you are having a tough time of it. I am on a product called Align - probiotic.  Mixed results and it could just be coicidental that I feel well some days.  I don't really think they help a great deal as they are not going to heal the inflammation.  Maybe that is why the pharmacist was non commital on the subject.  Depending on how severe the damage is to your bowel will depend on how well you tolerate food etc.  Bland diet - Mayo Clinic - has one on their website that they suggest for recovering from a flare. It may help you go from clear fluids back onto food. Best. Donna
    • Posted

Thanks Donna, The damage must not be to bad. They sent me home from the ER last night after doing a CT scan with contrast. Said to continue my meds, clear fluids and rest. I've had diarrhea since Friday. I might go ahead and eat a little something tonight. Maybe I need to put something on my stomach. Thanks for your help. Jennifer
  • Posted

Hi, I think the point of taking these healthy bacteria for the gut is not to reduce inflammation but to put the good guys in there to help you fight the infection and further infections by taking them every day (and of course following the no seeds; nuts; pips; skins and wholegrains rule - which can sit in there and fester for many days before the pain of the infection hits).  I thought my life was all but over as I knew it - well it was - with ten bouts in ten months I was ill more than I was well.  Then last July I began taking a capsule from the UK health stores Holland and Barrett - called Acidophilus (20 billion); healthy bacteria for the gut (do not take with hot drinks as this can kill the good guys in there!).  I have not had a bout of infection since last July..>!!!!  A miracle.  I still get the odd nasty reaction to a food like Broccolli; or something with garlic in it - but that is NOT an infection (although it can be as painful) and it hits within hours of taking the food....many people can no longer tolerate onions; it varies from person to person.  But you know when it is a REACTION as it happens suddenly within hours of consuming the food; and then gradually settles as the food goes through you.  But an INFECTION you may never work out what you put in there 7 to 10 days ago that got into a diverticular pouch and sat and festered until it became a full blown infection that will need antibiotics to treat it. ....I have heard that antibiotics will kill the good bacteria in the medication; but personally; I began taking them when I was still on the antibiotics...... in the hope a few of them survived.  Don't forget to cut out the hidden seeds like those in dried fruit and in the centre of bananas and cucumbers that we may forget on our seed and pip etc ellimination. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.