precautions before and after surgury

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi,

i m looking for suggestions for the care and precautions befoe and after colestoma surgury for 12 year old boy .

my son was diagoized 3 months before my surgeon is not hopeful to save the hearing for my child plus its not a single surgury after an year he is planning to do reconstruction i want to know if colestoma comes back does it grow again and anyone suffering from colestoma now do they feel pain in ear kindly share ur expierences would be appereciated

thx

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I had cholestema for about five years before the doctors finally discovered it.. I had a mastoidectomy last year in December i was told by my surgeon they had completely removed the infection and cholestema and here i an one month and a half later suffering from this all over again..and yes the pain on very horrible to stand at times..

Best of luck with your child..

• Posted

Hi! Firstly I must say you are doing the right thing in having your son treated. I have said before that cholesteatoma, especially in a child, should not be ignored. It will not go away by itself or by any other means except surgery! The extent of surgery depends on the extent of disease. Whilst the intention is to do the least damage (to hearing for example) it is important to try to remove all diseased tissue. Attempts at reconstruction come later.

As far as how to manage before and after treatment is concerned, you should try to keep the ear dry at all times - especially never duck the head under bath water or spray shower water in the ear.

I have been at both ends of the surgical knife having also had mastoidectomy myself! Children are so good at coping with change - surgery for example - especially if they can see you have a positive attitude yourself.

Cholesteatoma usually does not cause pain by itself but associated infection is painful. Post op if you follow your physician's advice about pain relief that should be ok. Don't overdose with painkillers but give at recommended intervals post op - seek advice if unsure and your son will be ok. Usually postoperative pain is not too bad.

Wishing you both a good result...

• Posted

My daughter had mastoid/cholestetoma surgery when she was 3 and coped with it really well.. Sadly she was so tiny that it now appears that they were not able to remove it all as it has now grown back. Sadly she also has it present in the other ear so is awaiting a double mastoid op. She's 5 1/2 now but will cope with it well I'm sure. She's just has her first hearing band and is thrilled with the new world she is open to. The main advice I can give is to show no fear yourself no matter how you really feel. Children trust us parents and as long as we remain positive then they will too. I will be honest and say that visually the first few day or so after the op is quite upsetting as the stitches are all around the ear and look dreadful but this soon clears up and once healed you don't even notice. Your son will be fine and so will you whatever the outcome of hearing loss etc there are so many things that can be done now without
    • Posted

Your daughter is a sweet strong child..May Good bless her with complete health and hearing..
    • Posted

Thx marie for ur kind advice i m trying to overcome this situation of pain for my son when the pain starts its so dreadful he cant even chew anthing for any parents its very hard to see kids in pain when its not going even by pain killers may God gives kids strength to fight all this and gives ur daughter a healthy and pain free life ahead
  • Posted

i am not clear whether your son is awaiting surgery or has had this already. if he is currently suffering pain he should be examined by a competent ENT doc as he may have associated infection in the ear which needs treatment!

David

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.