Prediabetes and blood glucose levels

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

I bought myself a home monitoring blood glucose tester as I was very worried I was prediabetic/type 2 diabetes. I am 58 and overweight and do little exercise.. My fasting blood glucose level taken this morning was 5.7 and I was wondering if anyone knew if this level is high and should  I test myself again after a meal. I have been looking on the internet and one page says above 5.5 is prediabetic another says 6.0. Can anyone help?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

This is the danger of people who have no need for a BG meter, buying one.

Self-diagnosis simply does not work.

If you suspect that your symptoms might indicate that you are pre-diabetic or fully diabetic, then the place to go is to your doctor who will give you an HBA1c haemoglobin test which is far more accurate than guesswork.

As it so happens an individual reading of 5.5 to 6.0 mmol is considered to be within the acceptable range.

If you have any doubts please go to see your doctor.

• Posted

I agree with Archemedes. I wonder why you thought you might be pre-diabetic and also why you bought a BG monitor. They are not cheap whereas a blood test from the doctor does nt cost anything (assuming you are from the UK) and is much more accurate. There are of course things you could do now to help yourself such as losing weight, eating a healthy diet, and taking more exercise. However, the most important thing is to see a doctor and get it properly checked out.
  • Posted

If you think you might be diabetic then you probably are and NOW is the time to do something about it quickly.  The latest info in the TV news is that going on a strict diet short term somehow makes the body reset itself.  I don't know about that but you must take diabetes seriously and sort out your lifestyle.  I found the best way to eat that suited me was to eat low GI foods. I also take supplements of chromium, cinnamon, magnesium and Vitamins B complex.  Good luck.
  • Posted

Early morning readings can be higher than might be expected.  Try to take a series of readings over several days.  Immediately before eating, and at about 2-2.5 hrs after eating.  Pre meal readings of between 4 and 5.7 are reasonably normal, post eating expect readings between 10.5 and 12.

If your much adrift from these readings, then I would certainly seek further advice from your GP.

• Posted

I did two 2 hour post meal reading in the afternoon and the reading was 4.5 and 4.4. I was n't aware early morning readings could be higher than expected.I thought it would be at it's lowest as I hadn't eaten for 10 hours. I suffer from anxiety and my anxiety is worst first thing in the morning so maybe adrenalin affects blood glucose levels.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.