Prednisolone

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have been given Prednisolone tablets 5mg and told to take 8 x 5mg (40mg) for the next 3 days after food in the morning.  I am absolutely petrified about doing this.  I suffer with Health Anxiety and part of this is a phobia of taking medication especially that which I've never taken before.  I can take salbutamol but the thought of taking 8 steroid tablets in one hit is scaring me senseless.  I would be grateful to hear from anyone else who has or is taking these in the same dosage as I've been given as it may help alleviate my fears.  Thank you for reading.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Your gp will only give them of if feels you need them I have had to take than several times and have a pack if I need to rescue I haven't had any obverse problems with them

• Posted

I've been told they are pretty common and it'll be fine but my anxiety phobia puts a great big brick wall up when it comes to this sort of thing.  

• Posted

Hi there I have the same as you I am petrified of taking new medication on the anxiety of what it will make me feel like side effects etc, I have been taking prednisolne for quite a few years now some at high doses and now a maintenance dose. it can make you sometimes feel you have a lot of energy and perhaps a bit of insomnia but for a three day course hopefully you will not experience any side affects. if your asthma Symptoms are bad these will for sure help within a few hours and make you feel so much better!! They only have a half life of a day or so I believe so even if you was too have a side affect for example insomnia it will be gone within 24 hours after. Hope this helps.
    • Posted

Wow Anni that's probably the best post I've read for a while. Thank you for getting back to me.  The GP did mention insomnia and said that's about as bad as it would get.   I'm still pretty worried and need to wait for my partner to be at home with me perhaps at the weekend before trying them as I don't want to be alone when I take them.  Half my problem is that if I do take a new medication I work myself up so badly that I then imagine all sorts happening as soon as I swallow the tablet and then blame it on the tablet when in truth it's probably me and my anxiety!!  I'm hopeless!!

• Posted

Hi I have had 2 lots of short term pred over the last few months and was fine , it was only when I had to go on pred for 3 weeks starting 8 pills for so many day 6 for so many etc that I started getting side effects but nothing serious.... Cramps in fingers and toes and insomnia but they did help with my breathing good luck I'm sure you will be fine xx

• Posted

I have taken steroids often due to my asthma...if you are afraid of taking it,take it with a trusted person just incase you have a reaction which I doubt you will

• Posted

Try not to worry smile, 3 days is a very short course of prednisolone. You've probably been online and looked at the side effects list for it... pretty much everything you would have read applies to long term, moderate to high dosage use.

40mg is considered a high dose, but over 3 days it's going to be harmless. As others have said, it might cause you to feel like you've got a bit more energy, cause insomnia, I guess there's a chance it could temporarily raise your blood pressure.

I'm very experianced with prednisolone having used it on and off for about 22 years and just spent about two and a half years tapering from 50mg ( two 25mg tablets daily, which I'd been on for nearly 4 months), continuing to taper now from hydrocortisone. Prednisolone has plenty of long term drawbacks (a number of which I've experianced), but it is a life saving medication. Breathing is a high priority, if you need it, use it.

• Posted

Thank you Neoflare.  I don't read any leaflets that come with medication or google it as I don't want to know what the side effects could be.  If i know my anxiety is more likely to mimick it so I tend just not to take anything and suffer.   I know I have to get myself in check and get over it ..Easier said than done but I do want to be normal again.

• Posted

Just want to say a huge thank you to all of you for your support.  My dear friend came round this morning and is sitting with me.  I have taken my first 8 Prednisolone tablets.  I took them over a period of about 45 minutes rather than all 8 at once but I have taken them.  Feeling fine so far.  Any niggles I have is due to my anxiety as I'd worked myself up over it!!  Thanks again guys.  

• Posted

Always here to help if I can. I'm back on prednisone now 6 tablets for 7 days after a Asthma flare up😟 Good luck and hope your feeling better soon xx

• Posted

Sorry to hear that Lyngal64.  I do hope you feel better also.    I've managed to get through today not too bad.  Any niggles I've had (which I get every day) I'm not accusing the Prednisolone.  I'm not sure if I feel better or not but I haven't taken my inhaler today and my friend said that when she left me a few hours after I'd taken the tablets she felt I was better than I was when she arrived.  I still feel wheezy in my throat and my chest also still feels a bit out of sorts but it's certainly easier than it has been (I think).  My inflammed Sinus also cleared so at least it helped that LOL.  I've had a dull headache since I took the meds and up until half an hour ago I was ticking along nicely.  Feeling jittery now and my pulse is racing.  Could just be the anxiety as this happens alot.  I just made dinner but I've taken 4 mouthfuls and can't eat any more as I feel I'm struggling to breathe.  This is another issue I've had for months.  My GP thinks most of my other issues are Anxiety related but I hate how it interferes with my chest and I can't get the benefit of any good meds.  Sorry to bleat on.  Just needed to unload a bit.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.