Prednisone and Diabetes

Posted , 6 users are following.

I suspect this has been asked before, but I could not find a post. 

How do others manage their Diabetes while on prednisone? 

Prior to starting prednisone my BS was topping out in the low 140s. Now that I am taking Prednisone my BS is 190-240 in genral. 

I take metformin twice a day, but not sure I am seeing any help. 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I've usually worked mine on the principle that what goes up must come down.

I can't even blame mine on steroids as I received both dxs at much the same time, so while I've always watched my carb intake, if the count goes high while I'm on high dose steroids, then it will come down as the dose reduces.  I am more likely to be found on moderate or low doses - as averages -  than I am high doses so the only person who didn't like this attitude was my former diabetic nurse.

There are plenty of diets available which allow you to cut carbs sensibly, so you could look up those first. The Mediterranean diet is always the first one which springs to my mind.

• Posted

Thanks, my diet has not changed, and I suspect  when the steroid dose goes down the BS will as well. 

I get concerned with large swings, in the past if it had gotten as high as it is now, it was a day then back to normal. When I am being a good boy smile I am down 90-100 which makes me a happy boy as well. totally diet related. 

• Posted

Prior to my diagnosis of PMR I was pre-diabetic. When I started on Pred my BS shot up in the 300s. When I was given Metformin, I got little effect at all. My Endocrinologist put me on once a day, long lasting insulin shot. That was definitely the way to go. It's expensive, but my BS is very well managed now. Before with 1000 mg of Metformin twice daily, my BS was not under control at all.

Hope you find a solution that works for you.

• Posted

That's called burying your head in the sand!

You are doing your body long term damage by running sugars that high!

Go to your doctor and discuss diabetes management with him.

Sounds like insulin is going to be the best thing to control your blood sugars.

The silent complications of diabetes aren't fun! Blindness, renal failure and limb amputation aren't long term desires of mine!

• Posted

But I've been at pains to point out that my BS are not high!  And burying my head in the sand is not one of my hobbies.

I'm fully aware of the complications of diabetes but I have no idea why you think I need further instruction or management.  Or insulin.

• Posted

No, to Buffy who doesn't like my way of dealing with diabetes and steroids.
    • Posted

Nefret, ha ha, obviously we should all be putting the name of the person we intend to reply to at the start of each reply.  I thought Buffy's reply applied to tpeter, and you thought my reply to Buffy was to you....
  • Posted

I am 53 and have had diabetes for 30 years (MODY1), 3.5 years ago I was diagnosed with PMR.  As you know it is a real challenge to manage these together. I am on Lantus insulin for basal coverage and  amaryl at meals for diabetes and Prednisone (5 mg/ daily  stepping down) and 6 weeks ago was put on Methotrexate (for PMR).   With the start of the new year, after much reading, I started a Low Carb High Fat diet (LCHF).  Currenty I plan my day to have 50 % of calories from Fat, 25% from Protein and 25% from Carbs.  I eat no processed carbs (or alcohol) - and I get my carbs from vegetables (little- no fruit).  I have been able to drop my Lantus from 24 to 10 units daily and my amaryl from 8 mg daily to 4 mg.  MY FBS was 107 this morning and my premeal readings have all been between 70-110.  I am very happy with my control right now.  My Amaryl seems to cover my Prednisne glucose increases and the Insulin covers what my body and the few carbs do.  It's still early in the year but I am hopeful I will have a much lower A1C (10 on 12-28-15).  I also plan to reduce my carbs to approx. 10% and increase Fats to 65% after another week or two.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.